cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
mswanson
Level 3

Billing Status - Request for a Fixed Fee Status - Requires Many Companies Wanting before QB will Consider

Hello,

I work for an Engineering and Construction Firm, and we have 3 different billing types - Fixed Fee (also known as Lump Sum), Unit Rate (e.g. per Site Visit, or per Month), and Time and Expense. The QuickBooks Billing Status feature is extremely helpful in our accounting, with the Any, Not Billable, Unbilled and Billed status filter options for reports. Yet there is an issue with how we can view our data in reports in that there is no applicable Billing Status we can use for our Fixed Fee or Per Unit Rate Services once we invoice the client. To expand further, time and costs sit as 'Unbilled' until we bill the client, therefore I have the ability to run time and cost reports with the 'Unbilled' filter each month for our Project Managers to review at client billing time. When I bill Time & Expense, and pull the time/costs into the Invoice with the Add Time/Costs button, and then save the Invoice, and the time/costs change status to 'Billed'. Fantastic so far. Yet, where the issue lies is when we invoice a Fixed Fee or Unit Rate Service I don't pull time/costs into the Invoice with the Add Time/Costs button, instead I select the Add Time/Costs Button, and check in the Hide column all the time and costs that are being covered with the Fixed Fee or Unit Rate Service so the time/costs no longer show on the Unbilled Report when we run it the following month for client invoicing review. Now if I could use the Not Billable status to identify time/costs that belong to Fixed Fee and Unit Rate Services when running progress and job close out reports that would be fine, but we also use the Not Billable status for time/costs we are writing off on Time and Expense Service jobs. Therefore the Not Billable status includes written off time/costs, fixed fee time/costs and unit/rate time/costs, which is very challenging to analyze jobs throughout their life cycle with progress reports, and at job close out. QuickBooks won't consider adding a feature to the system unless enough people identify a need. Therefore, I'm putting it out to our QuickBooks Community, if your company would also find it helpful to have an additional Billable status that would separate Fixed Fee/Unit Rate time/costs from Written Off time/costs, please make note in this discussion, or through your QB Send Feedback link. Thank you, your time is very much appreciated.

1 Comment 1
Wicked Witch at the Front Desk
Level 2

Billing Status - Request for a Fixed Fee Status - Requires Many Companies Wanting before QB will Consider

Agreed, this would be a big help for running reports.  I am always questioning if our reporting is correct because of this specific thing.  

Need to get in touch?

Contact us