cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyvavra
Level 2

How do I delete a client if permanently delete is not showing up in the clients drop down menu?

9 Comments 9
GlinetteC

How do I delete a client if permanently delete is not showing up in the clients drop down menu?

I'd be glad to share with you information before deleting a client, jeremyvavra.

Here are the things that you should consider before deleting a client. 

• If your client is tied to Wholesale Billing, then it cannot be deleted. This client can only be made inactive.
  • If the Accountant is also the Master Administration of the client company, it cannot be deleted.
  • A client cannot be deleted if client's record doesn't contain an email address. You need to Edit client, populate the Email field and Save the changes. Then try again.

You can now delete your client from the Clients list. 

Let me know if you have additional questions. I'll be happy to help.

jeremyvavra
Level 2

The client has no subscriptions, so no wholesale billing, no books in QB, and I put in an email address... still delete is not showing up

GlinetteC

Thanks for getting back to me, jeremyvavra.

Let me provide you additional information regarding on deleting your client on your client list. I tried it here in my end, we are unable to delete your client. We can only make them inactive.

In order for them to be removed completely to your list, you need to reach out to your client, and let them remove you as an accountant. In that way, you'll no longer see them listed on your clients list.

You can always reach back to me. I'll make sure to help if you have additional concerns.

jeremyvavra
Level 2

Thank you for looking into that for me. 

I created the client for testing/ learning the software. Other software that I have been learning allows for creating and deleting clients/suppliers/ employees as long as there are no invoices or payroll attached, I thought this may be the same. 

But if there is no QB subscription attached to the client, how would a client let go of an accountant?

GlinetteC

Thanks for your prompt reply, jeremyvavra.

Currently, we are unable to delete a client to your Clients list. We can only make them inactive. I'll be sure to pass on this feedback to our developers. Who knows, they might consider this in their future updates.

You can check out this article for your reference: How to change a client’s status in QuickBooks Online Accountant.

Let me know if you need more help.

jeremyvavra
Level 2

Thank you for your help anyway. 

I will make it inactive again. Hopefully the developers do consider it. 

thank you again

mark s
Level 2

I am having a similar problem 3 YEARS LATER and still no resolution.  In my case for test purposes I imported a customer list using the excel template and somehow these customers are showing up as clients.  Not only am I not able to delete them permanently even though none have subscriptions, all have email addresses and I have never had any interaction with them beyond doing a test import, I can;t even make them inactive.  So now my client list is cluttered with names I have never had any intention of working with and can't even remove from showing up.

Is anybody paying attention out there?

mark s
Level 2

I spoke a bit too soon about making clients inactive.  The ones that couldn't be made inactive had test subcustomers and test projects associated with them.  I deleted the projects and made the subcustomers inactive first, and they no longer showed up on the clients list after I made them inactive.  There still was no option on the drop-down to delete the client.

I still don't know why the list I imported via the customer import as customers wound up as clients.  

MirriamM

Hello there, @mark s.

Making an inactive client from wholesale billing is not an option in the QuickBooks Online AU region. In the meantime, you can only make them inactive so they won't appear on your client lists. 

Here's how:

1. In QuickBooks Online Accountant, go to the Clients menu.
  2. Locate the client.
  3. Select the Edit client ▼ dropdown.
  4. Click Make inactive.

For more details on handling your clients, see this article: Manage clients in QuickBooks Online Accountant.

We recognize that each company has unique needs, and I know how the feature you're looking for would benefit and empower your business. I suggest sending this request straight to our product engineers through feedback. It helps us improve the features of the program.

To send feedback, follow the below steps:

1. Go to the Gear icon at the top.
  2. Select Feedback.
  3. Enter your comments or product suggestions. 
  4. Then select Next to submit feedback.

For future reference, visit our Community Help page if you need guidance or assistance handling your QuickBooks Online account.

Keep me posted in the comments below if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help.