DGS1
Level 1

I can't add any jobs to my customers list "Unable to add item to list"

14 Comments 14
Alessandra_B
QuickBooks Team

Hey @DGS1,

Let me help you perform some troubleshooting steps and get your job added in your customer list.

There are times when your company file is damaged, which leads to being unable to perform some tasks. To fix this, you can run the Verify and Rebuild Data utilities.

You may follow these steps to run the data utilities:

1. To Verify Data:
    1. Click on File from the menu bar.
    2. Hover your mouse on Utilities, choose Verify Data.
    3. If it says QuickBooks detected no problem with your data, click on OK. But if there is an issue detected, choose whether to Rebuild Now or View Errors.
  2. To Rebuild Data:
    2. Hover your mouse on Utilities, choose Rebuild Data.
    3. Click on OK on the QuickBooks Information window.
    4. Follow the steps in saving a backup. Note that if your cursor is still moving while displaying QuickBooks not responding, the rebuild is still ongoing.
    5. Select OK when Rebuild has completed.

Once done, you'll now be able to add a job to your customer list.

You may read this article for additional steps in resolving data issues: Resolve Data Damage on Your Company File.

Feel free to let me know if you have other concerns. I'll be sure to get back to you.

DGS1
Level 1

Verified data, then rebuilt data.  

I tried to add again, but it didn't work.  Still got "Unable to add item to list.  

I did notice in small print, bottom left corner of "New Job" window ....."Job info is not synchronized with applications that use Sync Services".  

DGS1
Level 1

Verified Data, Rebuilt Data, it didn't work.  I tried adding job again and still got ..."Unable to add item to list".

When I tried to add job,  I did notice in small print on the bottom left corner of "New Job" window...."Job info is not synchronized with applications that use Sync Services".

What can I try next.  Thanks.

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @DGS1.

I appreciate you performing the recommendation of my colleague. Let's try some more steps to surpass the "Unable to add the item to list" message.

Aside from the Verify/Rebuild tool, re-sorting your list can also fix data damage on your company file. Please keep in mind that you'll need to close and re-open your company file after re-sorting a specific list.

For Customer list:

1. Open the Customer Center.
  2. On top left menu, click Edit.
  3. Select Re-sort List.
  4. Click OK on the Are you sure you want to return this list to its original order? prompt.

For Master Name List:

1. Choose the Banking menu.
  2. Select Write Checks.
  3. Place the cursor in the Pay to the Order Of field.
  4. On your keyboard, press and hold the Command Apple key, and press the L key to open the Master Name list.
  5. Ensure All Names is selected at the bottom of the list (or in earlier versions of QuickBooks, Include Inactive should be displayed at the bottom of the list).
  6. On top left menu, click Edit.
  7. Select Re-sort List.
  8. Click OK on the Are you sure you want to return this list to its original order? prompt.

For Chart of Accounts:

1. Go to the Lists menu.
  2. Select Chart of Accounts.
  3. Ensure All Accounts (or Include Inactive in earlier versions) is selected at the bottom of the list.
  4. On top left menu, click Edit.
  5. Select Re-sort List.
  6. Click OK on the Are you sure you want to return this list to its original order? prompt.

For Item and Class list:

1. Open the Item or Class list.
  2. On top left menu, click Edit.
  3. Select Re-sort List.
  4. Click OK on the Are you sure you want to return this list to its original order? prompt.

For your reference, you can check this link: Re-sort lists for QB Mac.

If you get the same result, I recommend reaching out to our phone agents. They can have a screen sharing session with you to take a closer look of your issue.

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact
  2. Select your product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. Select a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button.

Let me know how it goes or if you have any follow-up questions. I'll be here if you need further assistance. Take care always.

DGS1
Level 1

Lets try one more time.......

When I get the box "Unable to add item to list" I click ok........then it shuts my quick books and I have to click on reopen.  Lets try one more time.

Thank you!

DGS1
Level 1

Lets try one more time, please advise......

When I get the box that says....."Unable to add item to list".....I click ok and then its shuts down quick books......Then I click to re open and send report to Apple.  

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting out back to me, DGS1.

I appreciate you trying my recommendation for many times. However, since you're still experiencing the "Unable to add the item to list" message, I recommend calling our phone agents.

I'll add again their directory hotline for easier reference:

1. Visit this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks for Mac.
  4. Select a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button.

They can perform some steps with your company file if you permit the screen sharing tool. Through this, they can gather information about the error message and come up with the necessary fix.

Please keep me posted on how the call went. I'd like to make sure this is taken care of. I'm still here to help you more if you have other concerns.

IntuitBrooks
Level 9

If you have 10,000 or more customers and jobs you might be hitting the limit. 

DGS1
Level 1

I updated my computer and  updated to Quickbooks 2019.  I tried to add a job to my customer list and could not.  What I got was a box stating  unable........  "recNum is too small.  Please help.

JaneD

Hi DGS1,

Allow me to jump into this conversation and add additional information about the error message.

IntuitBrooks is correct. It's possible that you've exceeded the maximum number of entries. You can check out this article for more information: Maximum number of list entries (list limits and custom fields).

Otherwise, I recommend reaching one of our experts. They have a specific tool that will help them determine what caused this particular behavior. Just follow the steps above provided by my peer, HoneyLynn_G, to contact our QuickBooks Technical Support Team.

You can also provide this link to this post, so you don't have to repeat your concern. From there, one of our agents will be able to help rectify the error you're encountering.

I appreciate your patience. Keep me posted on how it goes after contacting them. I want to ensure this matter gets resolved.

DGS1
Level 1

Even after updating to 2019,  entries still can be exceeding whats allowed?

JaneD

Thanks for your response, DGS1.

Let me share a few details about your concern.

Even with updating the software to 2019, the maximum limit of entries for Job types is 10,000. Since the issue still persists, I highly recommend contacting our Technical Support Team. They have the tools to check the unforeseen conditions of your company file and perform a screen-share for further isolation.

You can follow these steps to contact them:

1. Go to this webpage https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose QuickBooks for Mac.
  4. Choose a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button.

This should point you in the right direction. Please ensure to update me here after contacting them. I want to make sure you're all set with this concern.

DGS1
Level 1

Would it be best to contact them before I consider Condensing Data?  Thank you.

Alessandra_B
QuickBooks Team

Hello @DGS1,

There are valid reasons to run the Condense Data utility in QuickBooks Desktop. Let me provide them to you and help you further.

Before condensing your data in QuickBooks, you need to know that this process is not reversible. There are also valid reasons that you need to take note before condensing your company data.

Some of these reasons include:

• You have a large data file.
  • You are nearing a list limit.
  • You have upgraded all your hardware.
  • Your accountant and your technical support have discussed other options and are willing to proceed with condensing.

Before running the Condense Data utility, I suggest reaching out to our Technical Support team. This way, they can view your account in a secure environment and check for errors in your company file to help you further. You can follow the steps provided by my colleague above in contacting them.

To condense your data, you may follow these steps:

2. Choose Utilities.
  3. Select Condense Data.

You may read this article for more information: Use the Condense Data Utility.

Fill me in if you have other questions or concerns. I'll be here to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us