cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fds
Level 1

quickbooks software payroll help

I was using Quickbooks online to do payroll last year but this year I will start using Quickbooks 2019 pro since it comes with enhanced payroll. The software is different. How do I re-enroll in eftps so I can make payments to irs and to california. Before it was just a few clicks but now it asks a lot of questions that I don't understand. Is there any guide. Thanks

10 Comments 10
SophiaAnnL

You don't need to re-enroll to pay or file your taxes electronically, fds.

When you enrolled to the EFTPS, the agency will give you a pin to be used when sending payments. Now that you've transitioned to the Desktop version, you'll only need to update the payment method and you're good to go.

Here's how:

1. From your QuickBooks Desktop, click the Employees menu at the top.
  2. Select Payroll Center, and then go to the Pay Liabilities tab.
  3. At the bottom of the page, click the Change Payment Method link below the Under Activities section.
  4. Wait until the QuickBooks Payroll Setup window opens.
  5. In the QuickBooks Payroll Setup window, select the scheduled payment/s that you need to update and click Edit.
  6. In the Edit Payment Schedule window, select the radio button for E-pay right next to the Payment (deposit) method.
  7. Click OK when prompted, click Finish, and then Continue.
  8. Choose the account for the e-payment and click Edit.
  9. Enter the bank account number and routing number, and then click Finish.
  10. Click Continue and select Finish Later.

Whenever you're ready to e-pay your taxes, just enter your pin and submit the payment. You can learn more about it here: Understanding the E-File and E-Pay services.

With the Desktop version, I'm sure that you'll learn a lot of new things especially with payroll. I look forward to seeing you again in this forum if you need anything else. Thanks for dropping by and have a good day.

fds
Level 1

Thanks for your help. It has been a long time and I don't remember my eftps pin is there a easy way of getting it? I remember when I enroll in eservices on quickbooks online for payroll no pin was ever needed for california or federal, but pin is needed for quickbook pro software?
Also, where do I enter my employer ein for irs payroll and employer number for california?

SophiaAnnL

You can reach out to the EFTPS support to retrieve your pin, fds.

For QuickBooks Online, you will not be prompted to enter a pin for e-pay because your tax filing goes directly to the federal agency. Whereas the Desktop version, the program serves as a portal. Because of this, you'll be asked to enter a pin for your account's security. The good thing about this is you can save the pin on the e-pay screen so you don't have to enter it every time.

There are two available options for you to get a new pin. You can either reset it on the EFTPS website or contact the federal agency directly.

To enter your EIN:

1. Click the Company menu at the top, and then select My Company.
  2. Click the pencil icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Company Information screen.
  3. Go to the Company Identification section.
  4. Enter your EIN on the box provided for.
  5. Click OK.

To enter the employer number for California:

1. Click the Employees menu at the top.
  2. Select Payroll Center, and then go to the Pay Liabilities tab.
  3. At the bottom of the page, click the Change Payment Method link below the Under Activities section.
  4. In the QuickBooks Payroll Setup window, select Scheduled Payments.
  5. Double click the tax item for California.
  6. Enter the employer number.
  7. Click Finish, and then Finish Later.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

fds
Level 1

Thanks so we just need to get a pin from EFTPS, with california setup it is automatic with the software?

fds
Level 1

You mention that for quickbooks online the filing goes directly to the federal agency, so if we do it on quickbooks software that is not the case? we have to mail it?

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, fds.

Yes, you'll need to get the pin from EFTPS. Then, you can set up a scheduled payment for California state taxes in QuickBooks. For the steps and details, just follow the Set up a scheduled payment to make using E-Pay section in this article: E-file state forms & e-pay state taxes separately.

On the other hand, you can e-pay the taxes in QuickBooks. The only difference from the Online version is that QuickBooks Desktop acts as a portal when submitting the tax payment. This allows you to check an e-pay status and payment history in the software.

For more details about QuickBooks E-Payment, please check out these articles:

You can always reply to this thread if you need anything else. Thanks!

fds
Level 1

I have two vendors in my quickbooks file. I have CA EDD and EDD. I just want to use EDD for payments to EDD for payroll taxes. But when I delete CA EDD it says "you cannot delete this vendor because it is used in Payable to field in payroll item. How can I fix this?

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, fds.

You'll need to change first the Payable To field in a payroll item from CA EDD into EDD before deleting it.

Here's how:

1. Click List on the top menu.
  2. Choose Payroll Item List.
  3. Double click the Item Name for CA EDD.
  4. Click Next.
  5. Under Enter name of agency to which liability is paid, make sure you choose Employment Development Department.
  6. Click Next, then Next.
  7. Click Finish.

Once done, go to Vendor Center and click the CA EDD vendor name. Then, manually open per transaction and under the PAY TO THE ORDER OF section, choose Employment Development Department.

Then, delete or inactivate the vendor in QuickBooks.

Here's how:

1. In the Vendor Center, click the Vendors tab.
  2. Double-click the vendor name you want to hide.
  3. In the Edit Vendor window, select Vendor is inactive.
  4. Click OK.
  5. To delete a vendor, click the vendor name.
  6. Right click on your mouse, choose Delete Vendor.
  7. Click OK.

Just reply to this thread if you have more questions. I'd be glad to help.

fds
Level 1

I was testing the quickbooks software. And I accidently made two payroll. I voided the first one and I made a 2nd one. When I check quickbooks transactions it shows void, but other than showing void would it affect any of my balances? And is this how you properly delete the payroll?

Also, even if we submit the payroll to intuit and it is successful. Can we still cancel the payroll as long as it is done before 5:00 pm pst? 

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, fds.

When voiding the Direct Deposit (DD) paycheck, it will not affect your balances in QuickBooks Desktop. It will only reconcile the tax and DD liabilities in QuickBooks. Then, the tax and DD funds are not debited from your company's bank account.

For more details about this, you can go to The impact of a voided paycheck on payroll data section in this article: Void a paycheck.

You may delete a paycheck it if it's a duplicate one or there's a need to change in the amount. For the steps and details, just go to Delete a paycheck section in this article: Modify or void pay and liability checks.

On the other hand, you can only void a paycheck before 5:00 PM Pacific time and 2 banking days before the paycheck date. You can check out this article for more details on when to cancel a DD paycheck: Cancel or void the paycheck.

You can always reply to this thread if you need anything else. I'm here to answer them.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us