cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David27
Level 1

Migrating QB 2016 Premier on Windows 7 to QB 2019 Premier on Server 2016

Hi,  I have QB Premier 2016 Multi User running on a WIn7 workstation.  I'm planning on purchasing Premier 2019 and installing it on WinServer2016.  What is the proper path to get all of the quickbooks data onto the new server and properly converted?

I read the 2014 to 2019 article:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Getting-Started/Upgrade-to-a-new-QuickBooks-Desktop-version/...

and it seems like this is the correct process but could anyone let me know if there are any gotcha's that can help me make this process go without extra issues?

3 Comments 3
IamjuViel
QuickBooks Team

You’re on the right track, @David27.

Allow me to share some information to make sure you’re able to successfully migrate your old QuickBooks 2016 data to a new QuickBooks 2019 version.

One possible factor to consider in the migration process is the compatibility of your computer to the new version of QuickBooks. Here are the system requirements:

• Operating Systems:
    • Windows 10, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed1
    • Windows 8.1 (Update 1) all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
    • Windows 7 SP1 all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
    • Windows Server 2016
    • Windows Server 2012 R2
    • Windows Server 2011, Standard and Essentials
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
  • Database Servers
    • Windows: Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2011, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows 10, Windows 8.1 (update 1) or Windows 7 SP1 (Enterprise and Professional editions only), natively installed.
    • Linux: When using QBES Database Server-only installation–OpenSuse 42.3, Fedora 27, Red Hat Enterprise 7 (RHEL 7.4)

Also, I’d recommend creating a backup copy of your QuickBooks data. By doing so, you’ll always have a clean and intact file to work on if you encounter any error in the migration process. Once completed, you can now download and install your new QuickBooks Premier 2019. 

As long as you follow the correct steps to upgrade to a new QuickBooks Desktop, there should not be any problem with migrating your files. You can move your company file using a network sharing or through a USB stick by copying it from the old computer to the new server.

If you need further help with the migration process, I’d suggest contacting our Technical Support Team. An agent will be able to access your account on a secured environment and further assist you via secured remote access session.

Here’s how to contact us:

1. Visit: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks Version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

You can post anytime if you have other questions about moving your data from QB Premier 2016 to QB Premier 2019. Have a great rest of your day.

soundxplorer
Level 1

The above instructions seem like a good start, but I want to verify that my plan is correct. I'm moving from 2015 on PCs to 2019 on a dedicated server to host the file on the network.

Here's what I currently have:

2 desktop PCs running QB2015 in multi-user mode (one PC hosts the file).

I've purchased QB2019 and installed it on the new server, just the "server host" version since no one will need to run QB directly on the server.

Next, here's how I think I need to proceed, but please correct me if there is something wrong in my plan:

1. Backup the QB2015 file to be safe.

2. Upgrade both PCs to QB2019.

3. On one PC, open QB2019 and Restore the company file, which will convert it to 2019.

4. Close Quickbooks on the PC.

5. Move the company file to the new server I have set up, open QuickBooks Database Manager and point it to the file location.

6. Open QB2019 on each desktop PC and point it to the network shared folder.

Am I misunderstanding anything?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, @soundxplorer.

Thanks for getting back and providing your detailed plan in migrating.

Yes, that's correct. I'm sure with this procedure, you can successfully migrate from QB Premier 2016 to QB Premier 2019.

For additional information about setting up your multi-user network, you can also check this helpful article: Set up multi-user network.

As always, if you need any help articles in the future, you can always visit our site: Help Articles for QuickBooks Desktop.

Should you have further questions about the migration process, please let us know. I'll always be here to help however I can.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us