cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rattleonco
Level 1

Deleted payroll check accidentally

I deleted payroll checks that I thought were duplicates on my reconciliations page from 2018 went to look up payroll information and those checks are gone from the employee payroll, how can I remake checks?

Solved
Best answer March 19, 2019

Best Answers
BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Rattleonco.

Glad to have you here in the Community. I'd be happy to help share some information on how you can recreate paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop.

If you've created a backup copy of your company file prior to the deletion of paychecks, then you still have the option to restore it. If not, you'll need to recreate an unscheduled payroll and enter the same information of the paychecks that you've deleted. 

To do that:

1. Click on Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Payroll Center.
  3. In the Pay Employees section, select on Start Unscheduled Payroll.
  4. Select the employee or employees you're paying.

Payroll1.PNG

To get more information about creating paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop, please refer to this article: Create paychecks.

That should do it!

Keep me posted if there's anything else you need about recreating paychecks in QuickBooks. I'm always up for further assistance. Wishing you and your business continued success.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @Rattleonco.

Glad to have you here in the Community. I'd be happy to help share some information on how you can recreate paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop.

If you've created a backup copy of your company file prior to the deletion of paychecks, then you still have the option to restore it. If not, you'll need to recreate an unscheduled payroll and enter the same information of the paychecks that you've deleted. 

To do that:

1. Click on Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Payroll Center.
  3. In the Pay Employees section, select on Start Unscheduled Payroll.
  4. Select the employee or employees you're paying.

Payroll1.PNG

To get more information about creating paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop, please refer to this article: Create paychecks.

That should do it!

Keep me posted if there's anything else you need about recreating paychecks in QuickBooks. I'm always up for further assistance. Wishing you and your business continued success.

Rattleonco
Level 1

I have pulled up the copy how do I restore the paycheck?  And thank you for helping me :)

Rattleonco
Level 1

I have pulled up the copy how do I restore the paycheck?  Thank you for helping me  :)

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Rattleonco.

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm here to help recreate the deleted paycheck in QuickBooks Desktop.

As mentioned by my colleague, you can restore it if there is a backup of your company file prior to the deletion of the paycheck. Since you have a copy ready you'd just recreate it.

Here’s how:

1. Choose Start Unscheduled Payroll in the Pay Employees section.
  2. Select the name of the employee you’re paying and click Open Paycheck Detail.
  3. Enter the same original details.
  4. Override taxes to match with the copy.
  5. Hit Save & Close.
  6. Click Continue, then Create Paychecks.

You can refer to this article for the details: Create paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.

This information should get you back in line. If there’s anything else you need help with, let me know by leaving a comment. I'm more than happy to assist you. Take care!

Rattleonco
Level 1

Ok I'm confused lol, do I recreate a paycheck in my current year? Because the YTD is not the same, I printed a copy of the pay stub, sorry I'm new at this. 

Rattleonco
Level 1

Ok I'm confused lol, do I recreate a paycheck in my current year? Because the YTD is not the same, I printed a copy of the pay stub, sorry I'm new at this. 

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for your prompt response, @Rattleonco.

Allow me to provide some clarifications with this deleted paychecks concern.

There's no need for you to recreate the paycheck, instead you'll need to enter the information as a YTD adjustment in your QuickBooks. Doing this allows you to record those taxes paid on the deleted paychecks.

To do that:

1. Click on Help at the top menu bar and select on About QuickBooks.
  2. Press on Ctrl + Alt + Y, or Ctrl + Shift + Y on your keyboard to open the Setup YTD Amount Window.
  3. In the Set Up YTD Amounts window, follow the next procedure to complete entry of YTDs and tax payments.
  4. See which documents you'll need to enter YTD history for, and select Next.
  5. When prompted to enter the date you want your YTD entries to affect accounts, enter your estimated first payroll date in both boxes, and select Next.
  6. Enter your estimated first payroll date, and select Next.
  7. This will need to be adjusted to a later date if you have trouble entering current quarter YTDs.
  8. Enter your YTD summaries per employee.
  9. When you have completed all YTD entries, select Next to close the Employee Summary Information window.
  10. Select the Finish button to close the window.

For more details about creating YTD adjustments in QuickBooks Desktop, please refer to this article: Enter historical payroll data.

Also here are some helpful resources about dealing with YTD in QuickBooks Desktop for your future reference:

This should get you pointed to on the right track.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this payroll concern. I'll be here to keep helping. Have a great day!

Adiux
Level 1

Thank you for these answers! They've helped me restore a paycheck I deleted by mistake.

When I finished recreating it, QB is now prompting me to send the info to Intuit. This was a paper check that we issued already and not a direct deposit. We sent the info when we processed the original paycheck.

Do I have to send the info to Intuit, or is there a way to dismiss the request?

If not, am I messing anything up with doubling the amount of taxes withheld for this employee?

Thank you again for your advice!

Liviu

Ryan_M

Hi @Adiux,

It's good to know that the steps provided by my colleague assisted you in restoring your deleted paychecks. 

As for the Send to Intuit request, there isn't an option to dismiss this. As you mentioned, one of the reasons why this shows up is due to the paychecks being marked as a direct deposit. Another reason is for us to determine the payroll usage fee. 

In case you're using QuickBooks Workforce, check out this article for steps on how to upload your recreated paychecks: QuickBooks Workforce: Uploading historical paychecks.

I'll be around in case you need further help. Drop a comment below, and I'll be sure to get back to you.

elite2013
Level 1

I accidentally deleted a paycheck instead of a liability after the fact.  The paycheck has been cashed (dated 1-25-2020), it was deleted on 2-10-2020.  Can I recreate the paycheck without producing a paper check?  How does this affect the taxes that were paid?

AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Yes, you can recreate it, elite2013.

This is just for recording purposes so you don't have to print it again. Go to the Employee Center and select Payroll, then click on Start Unscheduled Payroll. Simply enter all details needed and click on Create Paychecks, then Close. Also, make sure to use the same data especially the dates. The calculation of payroll taxes is based on the paycheck date. I've added this article about creating a paycheck in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.

It'll cause overpayment once there's a deleted paycheck. However, it'll automatically adjust after recreating it. In addition, if you created a backup file prior to deleting the check, you can just restore it. That way, you don't have to recreate the paycheck.

Please comment again if you need more guidance. Have a great day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us