cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AccountingInATL
Level 1

What state is put in Box 17 of Form 1099 if no state withholding?

Company is located in Georgia and paid non-employee compensation to an individual/non corporate entity that is located outside the state of Georgia, e.g. D.C.

NO state income tax was withheld.

Is any state name and/or ID number filled into box 17?

Since DC does NOT participate in the combined IRS/state form 1099 filing program, does the Form 1099 have to be remitted to DC even though NO state withholding?

OR is the 1099 just remitted to the state of the payer which is Georgia?

7 Comments 7
Rustler
Level 15

I would leave it blank based on this from the instructions

Boxes 16–18. State Information

These boxes may be used by payers who participate in the Combined Federal/State Filing Program and/or who are required to file paper copies of this form with a state tax department. See Pub. 1220 for more information regarding the Combined Federal/State Filing Program. They are provided for your convenience only and need not be completed for the IRS. Use the state information boxes to report payments for up to two states. Keep the information for each state separated by the dash line. If you withheld state income tax on this payment, you may enter it in box 16. In box 17, enter the abbreviated name of the state and the payer's state identification number. The state number is the payer's identification number assigned by the individual state. In box 18, you may enter the amount of the state payment.

If a state tax department requires that you send them a paper copy of this form, use Copy 1 to provide information to the state tax department. Give Copy 2 to the recipient for use in filing the recipient's state income tax return.

Lynndr1
Level 2

How do I get box 17 to pre-fill on my 1099 Misc since it is mandatory in Wisconsin 

HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining this thread, @Lynndr1.

I can share some insights about pre-filling the box 17 for the 1099 Misc form for Wisconsin.

The state of Wisconsin requires the filers to fill out the box 17 with the payer's state identification number. Just a heads up that you'll be charged $10 for each 1099 form that has missing information in boxes 16 and 17.

Here's how to get the box 17 to pre-fill:

1. Click Vendor.
  2. Choose Print/E-file 1099s.
  3. Select 1099 Wizard.
  4. Click Get Started.
  5. Select the vendors.
  6. Click Continue.
  7. On the Verify your 1099 info, make sure to fill out the State & Payer's State No. field. 
    This is the sample format: WI 999999999999999 (Wisconsin (WI) and your 15 digit WI withholding ID). 
  8. Continue the prompts in running the 1099 wizard.

You can also contact the Wisconsin Department of Revenue if you have concerns about your Withholding ID number.

That should keep you going today, Lynndr1. Let me know if you have additional payroll questions. I'm still here to help you further. Have a good one!

WSFOX
Level 1

I've tried this many times and it does not work.  Even when it's filled out on the verify information screen it still does not print on the forms and that information cannot be saved.

MaryLandT

Let me help you add an info in Box 17 of the 1099 form, WSFOX.

You need to make sure you enter the State ID number individually to save the information, not by bulk. Here's how:

1. Go to Edit.
  2. Select Preferences.
  3. Choose Tax: 1099.
  4. Under the Company Preferences tab, select click here from the option asking If you're ready to prepare your 1099s.
  5. Click Get Started.
  6. Hit Continue.
  7. Choose whether you manually or electronically file your 1099s.
  8. Click Save & Close.

Once done, you can now prepare and file your 1099 Misc form including your state ID number.

For your reference, I've included a screenshot below and a guide in preparing and filing your 1099 Misc form.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about 1099s in the comment section below. I'll always around to help you.

WSFOX
Level 1

I did exactly what you said and the State and Withholding number still did not print. 

ReyJohn_D

I'd also like this resolved right away, @WSFOX.

I appreciate you for performing the steps suggested by my colleagues above. Let's dig a little deeper why your state ID won't save and print in the 1099 form.

First, please make sure to update your QuickBooks release and the payroll tax table versions. This way, you'll have the recent features and needed fixes.

Also, please run QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) with admin privileges. To do that, right-click on the QuickBooks icon, and then select Run as administrator.

Then, perform the same set of steps provided above.

If you get the same result, contacting our support team is the best option you can do. One of our representatives can perform a remote access to take a closer look at what's causing this. They can also open a case for you or even escalate it if needed.

Before diving in, please see our support hours guide to ensure they can assist you on time.

Here's how to contact our support:

1. Open QBDT and click the Help menu.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help or press F1 on your keyboard.
  3. On the pop-up screen, select Contact us.
  4. Click Search for Something else.
  5. Enter your concern on the Tell us more about your question box, like "Can't save and print state ID in1099 for Wisconsin."
  6. Click the Search button.
  7. Select your preferred contact method, and then follow the on-screen prompts to proceed.

When you're all up, you can now prepare and file your 1099 form as you usually do.

By the way, you can print your 1099's to keep copies for later use.

In case you encounter other errors, you can refer to this article for the fixes: 1099 troubleshooting.

Let me know in the comment section if you need a hand with handling your 1099 forms. I'll be around to give a guide or two.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us