cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zippospeedcat
Level 2

Using IIF to update CUSTFLD1, CUSTFLD2, in Item List

I would like to add UPC numbers to my items, as well as update prices and add missing data to many of my inventory items.  I have 6000+ items.  I have used IIF in export mode, so I am familiar with the inventory file.  After I have updated my items in the IIF file thru Excel, can I import just the changed items (ie., partial file update), or should I import the entire IIF file?  I am using QB Pro Desktop 2016.

Solved
Best answer February 28, 2019

Best Answers
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Community, @zippospeedcat.

Let me help share information about importing/exporting Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files.

Yes, you can import just the changed items as long as you don't make any changes on other fields or other items. On the other hand, you can also import the entire IIF file.

In addition, you can modify items in the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries page under the Lists menu if the columns are available under Customize Columns.

For additional reference about importing/exporting IIF files, you can check this article: Export or import Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files.

Feel free to add a comment below if you have any other concerns about importing IIF files. I'll be happy to help you!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Community, @zippospeedcat.

Let me help share information about importing/exporting Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files.

Yes, you can import just the changed items as long as you don't make any changes on other fields or other items. On the other hand, you can also import the entire IIF file.

In addition, you can modify items in the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries page under the Lists menu if the columns are available under Customize Columns.

For additional reference about importing/exporting IIF files, you can check this article: Export or import Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files.

Feel free to add a comment below if you have any other concerns about importing IIF files. I'll be happy to help you!

zippospeedcat
Level 2

This worked absolutely perfectly as described!  The one thing I discovered is that when I change the IIF file in Excel, it must be saved as an IIF, yet there is no IIF file save option in Excel.  My solution was to save the original file as the IIF, make a copy of it and rename it in File Explorer, edit that new file, and it then becomes my Import file.

Thank You Very Much!

zippospeedcat

zippospeedcat
Level 2

This worked perfectly as described!

I discovered that after I changed the original (exported) IIF file in Excel, there was no IIF file-save option in the Excel drop-down, and unless the import file is IIF, (at least my version of) QB Pro-16 won't accept anything but an IIF file for import.  To get around that, after saving the exported IIF file, I made a copy of it in File Explorer, edited that file, and used it as my import file.  After I read the step that said "Don't Save" I thought maybe that was my problem, but at least with my solution, I have a copy of both the original Export file and the Import file.

Thanks Again for the Help!

zippospeedcat

Need to get in touch?

Contact us