cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d.riseberg
Level 4

How do I find which payment a credit was applied to

We are an animal rescue.  Our veterinarian bills us weekly.  We have a grant that pays for spay/neuter of dogs, with a $75 copay.  Instead of simply deducting the $75 from the total bill, and billing me for the balance, they credit me the $75 for each downpayment, then bill me for the total bill.  This makes it complicated for me, but easier on them.

This past week, I had 2 - $75 credits.  I already had 2 credits waiting to be used.  They deducted $150 from my total payments.  After entering everything, I realized I used the wrong 2 credits.  How do I go back and undo the credits, so I can apply the correct ones.  I can't seem to find how to show where a credit was applied, after the fact.

Thanks

Solved
Best answer February 28, 2019

Best Answers
Rose-A

Hey there, d.riseberg.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm here to clarify the steps I've provided above and helped you determine the credits applied to the invoices.

To clarify the steps above, you can simply edit vendor credits. Change the credit to a bill and you are warned it will unlink it from the bill. Save it. Then edit the transaction again by selecting the credit and save it again.

1. Locate and open the appropriate vendor credit.
  2. Select the Bill radio button to change the transaction type then Save & Close.
  3. Open and change the transaction type again, from Bill to Credit by selecting the Credit radio button, then Save and Close.
  4. When prompted about changing the transaction, select Yes.

x.PNG

Regarding credits applied to the invoices, you can follow the steps below to determine what invoice is linked to the credit.

Here's how:

1. Locate and open the appropriate credit.
  2. In the Credit Memo screen, press CTRL+H together.
  3. You'll see the invoice linked that credit.

Please let me know how it goes or if you ran into a different situation by leaving a Reply below. I'm always here to help you with credits in QuickBooks Desktop.

View solution in original post

17 Comments 17
Rose-A

I'm glad to see you here in the Community, d.riseberg.

Let me provide you with easy steps on how you can undo the credits and apply it to the correct bill.

You can remove a vendor credit from a bill if it is wrongly applied.

Here's how:

1. Locate the appropriate vendor credit.
  2. Select the Credit radio button to change the transaction type to credit, then select Save & Close.
  3. Change the transaction back to credit by selecting the Credit radio button, then Save and Close.

Here's an article for your reference: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Income-and-expenses/Remove-or-unapply-a-credit-from-an-invoi....

For additional help with QuickBooks, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care Team. You can get our most-up-to-date number here:

1. Click Help at the top menu bar.
  2. Enter your concern.
  3. Click Contact us.

I'm always here if you need additional assistance about bills and vendor credits in QuickBooks Desktop.

d.riseberg
Level 4

I've read the response, and even tried to follow the steps.  It simply doesn't make sense.  It is already a credit.  It says: "Select the Credit radio button to change the transaction type to credit" - there is no change.  Then re-find the credit and "Change the transaction back to credit by selecting the Credit radio button".  It never stopped being a credit.

What am I missing?

d.riseberg
Level 4

I don't understand the instructions.  It is already a vendor credit.  It says to "Select the Credit radio button to change the transaction type to credit".  It already is a credit, so I'm not changing anything.

Then it says "Change the transaction back to credit by selecting the Credit radio button". Again, it already is a credit.  I still haven't done anything to the transaction/credit.  What am I missing?

Also I understand that the instructions are to remove a credit from a bill.  I am also wanting to know how to determine what credits are being applied to what invoices.

Rose-A

Hey there, d.riseberg.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm here to clarify the steps I've provided above and helped you determine the credits applied to the invoices.

To clarify the steps above, you can simply edit vendor credits. Change the credit to a bill and you are warned it will unlink it from the bill. Save it. Then edit the transaction again by selecting the credit and save it again.

1. Locate and open the appropriate vendor credit.
  2. Select the Bill radio button to change the transaction type then Save & Close.
  3. Open and change the transaction type again, from Bill to Credit by selecting the Credit radio button, then Save and Close.

x.PNG

Regarding credits applied to the invoices, you can follow the steps below to determine what invoice is linked to the credit.

Here's how:

1. Locate and open the appropriate credit.
  2. In the Credit Memo screen, press CTRL+H together.
  3. You'll see the invoice linked that credit.

Please let me know how it goes or if you ran into a different situation by leaving a Reply below. I'm always here to help you with credits in QuickBooks Desktop.

joanne24
Level 2

I tried to do the steps to find out what payment had the credit taken, but when I do CTRL+H i only get a HISTORY of my computer....

I just need to see where the customer took the credits.

thanks!

Tori B
QuickBooks Team

Happy Friday, @joanne24.

I hope you're having a great day so far.

Since our Ctrl + H shortcut keys aren't working for you, let's get to the history the old fashioned way with just a few simple clicks. 

To do this:

1. Open the Credit memo

2. At the top of the screen, click the Reports tab.

3. Choose Transaction History.

That's all there is to it. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I'll be here on the lookout to help you. Take care! 

joanne24
Level 2

I am using ONLINE and I have nothing like the picture you show!

I open the credit memo but there is nothing across the top.....

Tori B
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for reaching back out, @joanne24.

I do apologize that we provided directions for Desktop and not Online.  Allow me to walk you through reviewing the transaction history in QuickBooks Online. 

Here's how:

1. Open the credit memo. 

2. At the bottom of the screen, click More

3. Choose Audit History

4. Now you'll be able to see the history of the credit memo. 

Please let me know if you find you need more help. I'll still be here on the lookout. Have a great rest of your day! 

joanne24
Level 2

Thanks...I did do that but again...I dont see WHICH payment took the credit into account.

I see that it was "taken" on 9/27 but with which payment?

Sorry but I just cant see the info I need.

SCH LLC
Level 1

Ctrl H or Command H on a Mac just hides the QB window for me, is there some other way to see to which invoice a credit was applied?

DivinaMercy_N

I've got your back, @SCH LLC.

You can open pull up the Transaction List by Customer report to see which invoice the credit was applied. Here's how:

1. Go to the Reports menu.
  2. Scroll down to the Sales and Customers section and click Transaction List by Customer.
  3. Once opened, set the desired date and then click the Customize button.
  4. Tick the Filter field and check the Transaction Type box.
  5. From the drop-down choose Credit Memo.
  6. Hit Run report.
  7. Look for the customer you want to check and click the Credit Memo.
  8. You'll see the 1 payment made button, click that and select the date.
  9. You'll be routed to the Received Payment section and from there, you'll see which invoice the credit was applied. 

Also, to get a list of all payments and invoices for each of your customers, you may pull up the Invoices and Received Payments Report. Then, customize it so it will only show the info you need. 

Let me know how this goes and post a reply below. I'm always here to help you see your payment history. Have a good one.

SCH LLC
Level 1

this looks like what i want to do, but my menu doesn't match up to the instructions, I have Desktop Pro Plus 2021?

DivinaMercy_N

Let me further assist you, @SCH LLC.

The above steps are for QuickBooks Online. To help you see the applied credits for an invoice in QuickBooks Desktop Pro Plus 2021, please refer to these steps:

1. Go to the Reports tab and hover over the Customers & Receivables section.
  2. Click Transaction List by Customer
  3. Set the desired date for the transaction in the Dates field.
  4. You can tick the Customize Report button, then go to the Filter tab and choose the Transaction Type to Credit Memo (see the screenshot for reference).
  5. Hit OK
  6. Then, look for the customer's name you'll need to check.
  7. Double-click the Credit Memo for that customer.
  8. Once opened, look at the right side of the screen and you'll see the Recent Transaction section. 
  9. From there, you'll see which invoice the credit was applied to.
  10. Click the Invoice to see the details.

For more info, please head to the Customize reports page at this link.

You can also seek self-help articles on our QuickBooks help articles page, to help you get your QuickBooks task done in no time. 

If you need further assistance about viewing credits applied to the invoices, leave a response below. I'm just a post away to help you. Have a good one. 

SCH LLC
Level 1

I am trying to find how credits were applied to invoices from vendors (companies I buy products from) , not customers (people I build houses for). For example if a lumber supplier issued a credit memo and I applied that credit to an invoice I need to see all credits form suppliers and what invoices those credits were applied to. 

MirriamM

Hello again, SCH LLC.

You can pull up the Transaction List by Vendor report to see the vendor's payment, bill, and the credit's applied.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Reports menu at the top. 
  2. Select Vendors & Payables.
  3. Choose Transaction List by Vendor.
  4. Click the Customize Report button if you'd want to filter the report.

Adding you some articles which you may find helpful:

Please let me know if there's anything I can do here to help you succeed. I'll gladly help! 

leeia
Level 1

Hi, I am piggybacking on this forum because I am having this issue in Quickbooks desktop, Enterprise 22.0. I have checked the QB forums trying to find out how we can see our applied vendor credits.

As of now, the applied credits are not showing up on the check stub, and when I pull a report “Transaction List by Vendor” and filter to bill credits, it only shows the unapplied credits. When we apply the credit, it just adjusts the amount paid on the bill and the payment history only shows the check, not the credit that was applied.

Candice C
QuickBooks Team

Hey there, @leeia

We appreciate you chiming in on this thread.

Since the instructions above didn't work and you're still unable to see the applied credits, can you please provide me with some screenshots of the report and how the bill payment looks after applying the credit? 

This will help me determine the next steps your business needs to take to resolve this problem. I want to ensure that you're able to get back to running your business. I'll be just around the corner! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us