cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrmeverden
Level 2

Invoice from Estimate

When I create an invoice from an estimate I want the description column to appear so I select the appropriate items. Right now only the item and pricing appears and our item descriptions are in broad categories. When I print the invoice the description appears, but not while I am preparing the invoice. Any solution to this? An example is attached. Thanks.

Jim

6 Comments 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Invoice from Estimate

Hello, jrmeverden.

QuickBooks will only carry over the description created for the item.  The additional description you’ve input when creating estimate will be left behind when creating invoice.

As a workaround, you can add the description on the item itself.

1. Go to List at the top and choose item list.
  2. Right click the item involve and choose Edit item.
  3. Go to Description field and enter your desired descriptions.
  4. Click Ok.

You can also request your preferred way of adding descriptions with our developers through feedback. Just click Help at the top, choose Send Feedback and select Product Suggestion.

Please visit us again if you need anything else.

jrmeverden
Level 2

Invoice from Estimate

Thanks for your prompt reply but I don't think I understand your response. The description is on the estimate and it transfers to the invoice but when I am creating the invoice it does not show on the portion of the estimate that pops up. The description on the estimate is the column immediately to the right of the item but that column does not show on the pop-up. A portion of an estimate is attached.

Because of that I need to have a printed copy of the estimate so I can see which lines of the estimate to transfer over to my invoice. I could have two screens but don't.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Invoice from Estimate

@Anonymous

Please Learn from this input. They Do carry over, so this isn't stated quite right: "The additional description you’ve input when creating estimate will be left behind when creating invoice. "

The Custom Description is carried to the Sale from the Estimate. Please see my attachment for the Noninventory item = Appliances, used generically as an Item and Specifically for Quotes and Orders and Sales.

@jrmeverden

You seem to have named your item Fixed Fee. That is how you intend to Charge; that isn't what you Provided. What you really need are Service Items for what you do. Think of the Estimate as Scope of Work for Price. Sure, everything can be a Fixed Bid or at hourly rates. But you skipped over just what it is you are In the Business of Doing, for these fees and on these bids.

For instance, that might be Structural engineering and Landscape design. It might be Flooring and Roofing and Painting. It might be Court Representation and Case Law Research and Expert Witness Interviews.

And the Hourly Rate for the item won't be used, if you intend to Progress Invoice = charge from the Estimate. You put the Price for this scope on the estimate, already. That's why you can use the same item for the task, no matter if you intend to charge from Time & Costs, or from the Estimate as progressive invoicing.

jrmeverden
Level 2

Invoice from Estimate

Thanks for the clarification. I sort of understand, but we do hundreds of things so it is not practical to have more descriptive item names. That information is included in the description. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. All I want is to be able to view the Item Description listed in the estimate when I am preparing the invoice. I realize that it carries over to the invoice, I just want to see it when I am creating the invoice.

Kristine Mae

Invoice from Estimate

Hello, Jrmeverden.

I've replicated your concern. The description from the estimate will carry over when you create an invoice.

This can be a possible damage invoice template since it's not showing the description. Let's delete and recreate it. 

Here's how to delete it:

1. Click the Lists menu, then go to Templates.
  2. Look for the invoice template, right-click, then choose Delete Template.
  3. You'll receive a message, "Are you sure you want to delete this template?", click Yes.

Here's how to recreate it.

1. In the Template window, click Templates, then choose New.
  2. Choose Invoice, then click OK.
  3. Customize the invoice, then click OK.

When you convert the estimate to the invoice, make sure to use this template. Just click the TEMPLATE drop-down arrow to choose it. 

Should you need further help, just drop a comment below. 

qbteachmt
Level 15

Invoice from Estimate

@Kristine Mae

Please Learn from this input. It has Nothing To Do with Templates. This is an issue of understanding Processes, and which to use to meet your specific needs. Nothing here is Damaged.

@jrmeverden

Let's take this a bit at a time:

"I sort of understand, but we do hundreds of things so it is not practical to have more descriptive item names."

You use what you need to see for reporting and quotes and managing your own data. You wanted More Detail, and that means using More Service Items, because you are the one that asked for this. As I noted, what you did is name something for How you bid that contract, which is the Sale. You skipped over Scope, or What you do. If you go to a restaurant, they would not ask "how do you intend to pay?" and then write down your Order as "Credit Card, Credit Card, Credit Card" when what you want to buy is Meal, Beverage and Dessert.

"That information is included in the description."

Let's examine what you stated: We spend time and type a Lot of Custom info, because we realize out Charge item Listing is too generic.

"I am not sure we are talking about the same thing."

Yes, we are. Please See My Attached Image.

"All I want is to be able to view the Item Description listed in the estimate when I am preparing the invoice. I realize that it carries over to the invoice, I just want to see it when I am creating the invoice."

You  are supposed to use More Items.

Please see my attached Image.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us