cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joneill1186
Level 4

Decimal places (yea another decimal place question from me)

Hi All! 

I've asked about decimal places/rounding out on BOM builds, but now I've got another question.

We have many large volume items where the price goes out to 4 decimal places. For example, something costs us $.0046 to make, but we sell it for .0071. I can't figure out how to go more than 2 decimal places for invoices and quotes. Help! 

10 Comments 10
Charies_M

We're glad to have you here, joneill1186

It's a delight to help you set up cost amount into four decimal places in QuickBooks Desktop. Please follow the steps below to learn how:

1. Go to List.
  2. Click Item List.
  3. Double-click the item.
  4. Enter the your desired Cost and Sales Price.
  5. Click OK.

I've attached a screenshot for your reference.

Sales Price.PNG

You can also check out this article to know more about editing items in QuickBooks: Add, edit, and delete items.

Feel free to leave a comment below if you have further questions about QuickBooks. I’d be happy to help.

joneill1186
Level 4

Thanks Charles,

I am using cost from a BOM to make a quote. The BOM cost only goes out to 2 decimals and on the quote it does the same thing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello joneill1186,

Thanks for coming back with more details. 

For now, QuickBooks can only show 2 decimal places (in the  Amount column) on invoices and other transactions. 

Should you need more help, please let us know. 

joneill1186
Level 4

Thanks for the reply,

Since we can only go to two (viewed) decimal places on our quote and invoices, we have to be creative.  Do you have a suggestion of what we can do? If we do a quote and show 10000 pcs = total amount, it will show the full price, but what else can we do? This seems like a severe quickbooks limitation. Most of our parts don't have prices that go past cents (2 decimals), but it does happen often enough that this would cause some headaches. 

JessT

Hi joneill1186,

We currently don't have a suggestion about this because we can't manipulate the decimal place of the amount.

I can see how important this is for you. I'll personally share this idea with our product developers. I'd also encourage you to do the same by going to the Help menu and choosing Send Feedback Online.

If you have other questions, feel free to come back here.

joneill1186
Level 4

Thanks Jess,

I've already submitted feedback a couple times regarding. I am surprised and disappointed with all of the customizing that QBs can do, that this isn't something that can be configured. Thanks for the help. I will just keep submitting feedback and hopefully it will get me somewhere. 

AlcaeusF

Hello there, joneill1186.

I appreciate you for getting back and letting us know about what you did on your end. I want to assist you with sending the request.

I want to make sure our Product Developers will know about what works best for your business. So I'm sending my feedback as well on our internal product enhancement list that we send immediately to them.

I'm also adding the link on how you can send feedback through your web browser:

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/commerce/common/fragments/feedback.jsp

Please feel free to get in touch with me here for any additional questions. The Community always has your back.

-MEH
Level 1

Joneill,

If you are creating a quote for 10,000 pcs at a cost that is less than $0.01 per pcs, edit the item to be 100 units of 100 pcs at a cost that is 100x more than the cost for 1 piece?  Or whatever factor you need to use such that the cost for that unit is > $0.01.

You have 10,000 pcs of ItemName01 at a cost $.0012.  Now, edit ItemName01 to be 100 units of the set of 100 pcs at a cost of $.0012*100.  Note in your sales description and/or purchase description that the item is 100 pcs.  In my experience, it is possible to buy & sell fractional amounts of an item.

Michelene

joecpa
Level 2

YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!!!!!! MY CLIENT IS PAYING THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOR ENTERPRISE.  They sell 100k items at a time so their costs are off by hundreds of dollars or more every order!  What a garbage limitation to have.  

joecpa
Level 2

Completely unacceptable.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us