lindi
Level 1

How to import template styles from word for estimates and invoices

6 Comments 6
IntuitCyndee
Level 1

Hi lindi

I'd be happy to guide you through on how to import templates to QuickBooks Online.

With QuickBooks Online, you can easily import custom invoice and estimate templates.

First, you'll need to enable the import style in QuickBooks Labs. Here's how:

1. Go to the Gear icon at the upper right.
  2. Select QuickBooks Labs.
  3. Scroll down the screen and toggle the switch for Import Style to On.
  4. Click on the Done button.

Once done with the steps above, you can now go ahead and import the invoice or estimate templates.

Here are the steps:

1. Go to the Gear icon at the upper right.
  2. Select Custom Form Styles.
  3. Click New style, then select Import style.
  4. Select the form type, then click on the Browse button.
  5. Click on the Next button, then map the fields for the template until finished.

For more information about importing an invoice or estimate template, you can also read this article: How to Import Custom Invoice/Estimate​.

If there's anything else that you need help with, don't hesitate to comment below. I'm here to further help you.

1231 4571 9921 612H14
Level 1

thank you for this - my problem is that when I get to number 3, it does not give me the option to 'import stye' it just says new style with drop down options of invoice, sales receipt or estimate. If I click on invoice it takes me to the QBO invoice templates, not the option to browse and upload a word template

any ideas?

RaymondJayO

Yes, I have the steps you can perform to import your custom form styles from Word to the program, @1231 4571 9921 612H14

Based on your scenario, it looks like you haven't turned on the Import Style feature from the QuickBooks Labs. I'd first suggest enabling it so you can see the Import Style option in the New style drop-down. This way, you can import your custom form styles from Word to QuickBooks Online (QBO). You can refer to the first batch of steps provided by my peer above. Also, you can view the screenshot below for your visual reference. 

EnableTheImportStyleFeature.PNG

However, if the issue persists, it could be the browser's cache is full. You'll want to access your QBO account through a private browser. It's a great way to isolate the issue since it doesn't store data in the cache. If you're using Safari, press Command + Shift + N on your keyboard. For Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Edge, press CTRL + Shift + P. Tap CTRL + Shift + N if you're using Google Chrome. 

Once signed in, go back to the Custom form styles page. If you're able to see the Import Style option, switch back to your default browser. Then, clear its cache. This will help us remove junk files to prevent unusual behavior on the browser. If the private browsing doesn't work, please use a different browser

As always, I recommend visiting this website: Importing Custom Form Styles Overview. It has in-depth information about designing the templates before importing them. You'll also get answers to commonly asked questions and fixing any import errors. 

I'll be right here to help if you need anything else. Enjoy the rest of your day, @1231 4571 9921 612H14

fabioalfaro dot com
Level 1

You must be an ADMIN to import customer templates and import styles must be enabled on quickbook labs. I spent a good time chatting with a CS rep and I found that if my boss made me an admin; I could import. If import style is enabled, but you're not an ADMIN account, you will not see the "Import Style Option".

lori lacy
Level 1

does essentials version have the option to import custom estimates and invoices?

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for adding your question in this thread, @lori lacy

As an insight, only the existing QuickBooks Online users can access the QuickBooks Labs to save and upload DOCX templates. 

While the new accounts can no longer access the Import Style feature effective 06/29/2021. However, you can use the Custom Form Style feature and import different designs and then add your company info (such as company logo) to highlight your brand. 

You can check out this article for more insights and guidelines: Import custom form styles for invoices or estimates

Here's a quick video tutorial for your visual guide: How to import custom form styles (templates).

Feel free to visit and post more of your concerns, @lori lacy. We're always around here to help.