cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
accounting246
Level 1

Add Memo Line for Banking Register

How do add a memo column into your banking register? I want to add memo descriptions to checks without have to manually go into each check for the memo box to appear.

Solved
Best answer January 09, 2019

Best Answers
JessT

Thank you for the additional details, accounting246.

You can remove the check mark in the 1-line checkbox in the lower left-hand corner. This will show the Memo field on each transaction. That will do it.

If you need anything else, please comment below.

View solution in original post

12 Comments 12
MaryGraceS

Hello there, @accounting246.

Thank you for joining the Community. Allow me to help share some information about adding a memo column into your bank register.

There's a default memo column in the bank register where you can add the descriptions directly to the memo field. However, this option is not available for all transactions. Currently, you can only enter the memo descriptions to a check, journal entry, deposit, and sales tax payment.  

I encourage you to send feedback directly to our product developers. This way, we'll be able to know what product features/options we need to add in the future updates. 

To send your feedback, please go to Help menu, choose Send Feedback Online, then click Product Suggestion.

If you need to reach out for more help, our phone agents will be able to help you get to a resolution quickly. Here's how to get in touch with our QuickBooks Desktop Customer Care team:

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks for Windows.
  3. Select your QuickBooks for Windows version.
  4. Select a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any other questions about adding a memo description in the register. Just leave a reply below, and I'll get back to this thread to help you out.  

accounting246
Level 1

The context I am referencing is the check register. So, they are checks, which do have memo lines, just only when I drill down into the check view. Is there a way to add this memo line to the general check register. I have included a picture of the screen for reference.

Thanks,

accounting246
Level 1

The transactions I am working with are checks, as I am in the banking/check register. I can enter memos by drilling down into the check so that it is open and I am no longer on the check register screen. However, I was hoping there was a way to add a memo column so that I don't have to do the extra work. Attached is a screen shot of the check register I am referring to that I would like to add the memo column.

JessT

Thank you for the additional details, accounting246.

You can remove the check mark in the 1-line checkbox in the lower left-hand corner. This will show the Memo field on each transaction. That will do it.

If you need anything else, please comment below.

4BB
Level 1

TD Bank says I cannot do a PC generated check memo, (you know, adding a memo on a check sent through QB by my bank), due to an issue with QB.  Of course, not them, even though I used that feature for 15 years with another bank.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for joining the thread, @4BB.

Allow me to help share some insights about the memo on your checks.

Generally, QuickBooks will depend on the details provided by your bank. If you cannot do a generated check memo as advised, you can still add it manually on the register.

You can refer to the instructions provided by my colleagues above.

For other related references you can use, you may visit this helpful site: Banking and bank feeds for QuickBooks Desktop.

Keep me posted if you have questions about adding memos. I'll be here to help. Have a great weekend.

4BB
Level 1

If I understand you correctly, that would only place a memo on my own/local register.  But I need the people I send checks to, to know what each check is for, that I send to them.  I have many outstanding orders and payments due for most the people I send checks to.  The memo needs to be on the paper check that they receive.  The memo line is on my virtual check that I write in QB, but the little box to the left of the memo line and the memo line are grayed out.  You cannot activate it.  When I was with a previous bank, you could check that box allowing the memo to be sent, and write the memo on the line.

Thanks

AlcaeusF

Hello 4BB,

Thank you for posting here in the Community. I'm here to lend a hand with the memo line in QuickBooks Desktop.

If you're referring to the Transmit memo option, please note that the extended payments service is available to selected financial institutions only. To know more about paying a vendor using the Write Check window, I'm adding the article I recommend on this:

Set up and use QuickBooks Bill Pay.

Let me know if you have further questions regarding the memo line. The Community is always available to answer them.

4BB
Level 1

So is TD Bank a selected financial institution? They claim they have it properly set on their end and the problem must be with QB.

JasroV
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @4BB.

Yes, TD bank is included in the financial institution. However, QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) only relies on the information given by your financial institution.

As my colleague @AlcaeusF stated above, the Transmit memo option is grayed out or not available because the extended payments service isn't available in our list of supported financial institutions. I recommend checking this out with your financial institution.

To learn more about paying a vendor using the Write Check, you can refer to the article provided by my colleague above.

Let me know in the comment section below if you have other concerns. We're always here to help you. Have a great day!

4BB
Level 1

is it possible to give me a list of supported institutions?  thank you!

that feature is important to me.

JamesDuanT

Being able to connect your bank to QBO is pretty convenient when managing your business, 4BB.

Currently, we cannot provide a list of supported banks for Online Banking because they update their systems from time to time. 

The best thing we can do is to try to connect your bank through the Online Banking setup page. Your bank appears in the search list if it is supported in QBO.

1. Select Banking on the left menu and go to the Banking tab.
  2. Click Add account and enter your bank's name or website URL.

After that, you can go ahead and connect your bank. Otherwise, you'll need to click the Request support for your bank option.

If you bank supports a Web Connect file, we can use it to bring your banking transactions to QuickBooks Desktop. 

Once you've set up everything, you can already manage your banking transactions.

Have a good one!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us