cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quickbooks Desktop for Mac 2019 + Payroll

Hi, I recently signed up for QB for Mac 2019 and I'm trying to set up payroll.  It looks like there is a standalone service for this, which only turns on payroll.  Im using safari browser to handle the payroll as the QB Desktop window doesn't appear to work (keep getting an Unexpected Error screen).  I'm trying to export the payroll data from this safari browser so I can import back into my Desktop app, but the export screen doesn't go anywhere and if I load the URL directly, it says "QuickBooks Online Needed - You need a QuickBooks Online subscription to access this page".  

Help!  How do I get the payroll data out of this standalone service and into my desktop app?  Anyone else having this problem?

9 Comments 9
ShiellaGraceA
QuickBooks Team

We can export the payroll data by logging into your payroll account directly, jpark720.

Here's how:

1. Close payroll within QuickBooks for Mac.
  2. Open a new browser.
  3. Go to www.MacPayroll.com
  4. Sign in using your normal username and password.
  5. Export the payroll file.
  6. Save the IIF file to your desktop. The export file is called payroll.iif. We recommend that you accept that default name.

Then, you can import the IIF file into QuickBooks app.

1. Open QuickBooks app.
  2. From the File menu, click Utilities, and then Import.
  3. Choose IIF Files.
  4. Locate the payroll.iif file you saved.
  5. Click Open.
  6. Click OK.

If you need further assistance with exporting payroll details, please contact Payroll Support. You can reach them through this link: https://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact/?infosrc=qs&service=64.

This article is also a good reference: Using QuickBooks Payroll on a Mac.

Drop a comment below if you have other questions. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI - www.macpayroll.com opens to a 403 Forbidden page.  This solution does not work.

AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, jpark720.

Thank you for getting back to us and providing that clarification. Allow me to step in for a moment and provide some insight on this matter.

The solution provided by my colleague, ShiellaGraceA, is correct. However, I did a little research by replicating these steps on my end and I also received the same error message.

We haven't received any reports similar to this issue. I'll be sure to report this to our engineers, so we can investigate this on our end and make sure you, and others won't experience this problem again.

In the meantime, I recommend you reach out to our Customer Care Team. They have specialized tools and can do screen sharing to determine another way to resolve this, and further assist you to guarantee a successful data transfer.

Here's how you can reach them:

1. Go to our Contact Us website.
  2. Choose QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Select Using QuickBooks for Mac.
  4. In section 2, Here's how to connect with a QuickBooks expert, click Get Phone Number.

Please let me know if there's anything else you need, I want to make sure you're taken care of. Thanks for reaching out, wishing you and your business continued success.

Rvicelli
Level 1

I am having the same error message on my Mac running Mojave version 10.14.2 - QB for Mac 2016. I have a older Mac that I also use and older Mac software (not sure which version) but it still can access the mac payroll service

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Rvicelli.

Thanks for joining this thread. I'm here to guide you to the right support so you can get the help you need. 

To investigate this further, I encourage you to get in touch with our Care Support Team. They will be able to create a new investigation for this issue and once it has been open, you’ll be receiving an email notification about the updates and progress.

You may follow the steps provided by my colleague AldrinS above on how to contact our phone support. 

For your future reference, you can check this article about using QuickBooks Payroll on a Mac

Please let us know how it goes, If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to leave a comment below. Have a good one. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've contacted support and they have given a hilariously asinine answer.  Apparently, you cannot export from the QB online payroll directly into the QB for Mac Product.  You would need a Windows computer w/ IE 11+ to export the file into a QB for Windows Desktop Product, and then convert that from QB for Windows -> QB for Mac.  

Why would anyone own a Windows computer AND QB for Windows Product when they originally purchased a QB for Mac?

Of course, the macpayroll.com website still returns a 403 Forbidden error so that's no help either.

The entire reason to use QB Payroll is to integrate the data back into your QB Accounting product.  The inability to do this is a reasonably easy fashion is incredibly frustrating.

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, @Anonymous.

I'm here to help share some information about setting up payroll on QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.

Intuit's desktop payroll solutions (Quickbook Payroll BasicQuickbooks Payroll Enhanced and Quickbooks Desktop Payroll Assisted) are only supported on Windows. The only payroll supported for Mac is Intuit Online Payroll (IOP). However, you can use these products on a Mac by utilizing Boot Camp, a program provided by Apple.

If you want the data from QuickBooks Online Payroll be imported to your QuickBooks for Mac, you may need to enter them manually.

For additional reference, you may check this article: Using QuickBooks Payroll on a Mac. As always, you can get in touch with our QuickBooks Payroll for Mac department for more information.

For the support's contact information, you can check it here: https://payroll.intuit.com/support/contact/?infosrc=qs&service=64&topics=true.

Stay in touch if you have any other payroll concerns, we're always here to help. Have a wonderful day!

mjbach512
Level 1

So if I'm reading this correctly, even though I have Quickbooks for Mac desktop and paid for the payroll option, I cannot use it on my Mac at all, or at least without installing bootcamp? Why is this not mentioned beforehand? I could have looked at other options, which it looks like I have to do now anyway. 

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Hello there, mjbach512.

A boot camp is an option that allows you to switch from macOS and Windows. If you use Boot Camp you can use our QuickBooks Online Payroll services. If not, you have the Intuit Online Payroll option.

If there's anything else that you need help with. You can always post them here. Take care!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us