cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to change the incorrect amount due on the QuickBooks invoice.

I just created a final invoice for a customer, and the amount due is incorrect.  I require my customers to pay a 50% down and then the balance due at completion of the work.  QB is not taking into account the previous amount paid.  Item on invoice was $52.74.  Customer paid $26.37 as a deposit.  Amount shown on invoice is $0.00.  I've never had QB do this before, and this is the only item on the final invoice that shows an incorrect amount due.  Can anyone help?  I have attached a screen shot of my predicament.  It doesn't show on attachment, but amount due shows as $0.00, and QB will not allow me to change it.  Thanks.

(Title has been edited by moderator for clarity)

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 7.10.32 PM.png

Solved
Best answer November 12, 2017

Best Answers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Amount is calculated as Units (quantity) times Rate. You have qty = 0.

And this never takes into account prior amounts Paid. That "prior" is amounts Previously Charged. This new sale has no concept of that prior sale being Paid or not; this just confirms there is an earlier charge out there, for the prior amount, qty and/or %.

It would be to your benefit to Customize your Progress Template. Hide Qty, if you are not using that, show yourself qty and/or %, where it matters to you and matters to the customer.

Behind the scenes, if you don't use it, qty should still show and would be 1.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
qbteachmt
Level 15

Amount is calculated as Units (quantity) times Rate. You have qty = 0.

And this never takes into account prior amounts Paid. That "prior" is amounts Previously Charged. This new sale has no concept of that prior sale being Paid or not; this just confirms there is an earlier charge out there, for the prior amount, qty and/or %.

It would be to your benefit to Customize your Progress Template. Hide Qty, if you are not using that, show yourself qty and/or %, where it matters to you and matters to the customer.

Behind the scenes, if you don't use it, qty should still show and would be 1.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.  Where I am confused is I have changed nothing about how I use QB, and this is the 1st time this has happened.  Thanks again for you advice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately that did not change anything.  Must be a bug in QB?  I use QB 2016 Desktop for Mac.  Thanks for the try.

qbteachmt
Level 15

You need to make sure the First progress invoice is linked to the Estimate.

Then, delete and recreate the Second invoice, so that it is progressing from the Original total, based on Prior Progress.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Both invoices are linked to the original Estimate, but I will try to delete and re-create the 2nd invoice to see if that resolves my issue.  Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deleting the invoice and re-creating it worked.  Thanks!

qbteachmt
Level 15

Glad to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us