cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
jmkentel
Level 3

Trial Balance Report and non activity accounts

I do not want my my trial balance report to include accounts that have not have acitivity on them for years (some since 2013). I have made them all 'inactive'.  However, my trail balance report still lists them at 0.  In the 'advanced' feature I have selected Active which seems to me should solve it but they still appear.

Other answers to this problem I have found say to pick Active and then only accounts with activity during the reporting period will show but it simply doesn't work.  Does anyone know if this is a gltich?!

12 Comments 12
qbteachmt
Level 15

Let's understand that the word Active in QB =

Active or not is a Status on the List. So, Make Inactive has nothing to do with Reporting. It is a Status of: "Please stop showing this to me in Lists and on Dropdowns, as I no longer need to be able to see it for Selection."

Active for Financial report status = Has Entries or activity in it. And an ending Balance of 0 is not the same as Never Used. it means, Has activity that Math = 0 here.

In Advanced, you seem to want Non-Zero for Rows and/or Columns.

jmkentel
Level 3

Thanks for the quick reply!  I know understand the difference between Active and Non Active (too bad QB chose the same word for the advanced function in Reporting- that is confusing).  However, non zero is not what I want as it clears out all non zero accounts and I want the ones with activity in the reporting period to show as 0.00.  It seems that the ACTIVE button should be the one - I want accounts with no activity in the reporting period and a zero balance to NOT show- but they still do!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"However, non zero is not what I want as it clears out all non zero accounts and I want the ones with activity in the reporting period to show as 0.00."

This will be a problem if you are asking about Balance Sheet accounts.

Example: We used to pay rent expense, and stopped years ago = No Longer Active (has no activity).

But, the Vehicle Loan is paid off = 0, even if it has no activity, that Zero is Meaningful.

Jonathan_20
Level 2

I know this is an old thread, but I don't see that you got your answer.  To resolve this issue, follow these steps...

Open the Trial Balance report
Select Customize Report
On the Display tab, select the Advanced... button
Under the DISPLAY ROWS column, select Non-zero

If you wish to save these settings for future use, save the report as a Memorized report

Jonathan_20
Level 2

I just re-read your last response and realized that my suggestion will not resolve your issue.  Sorry for any confusion, but I hope this helps others that just want to hide accounts with a zero value.  If someone finds an answer to your specific issue, please share with the rest of us.

CJ777
Level 1

Your response is not correct. It will hide all zero balance accounts not only the inactive accounts.

northerngirl
Level 5

I have another thread going in this. I hope this link works for you.

click here

northerngirl
Level 5

Interesting.  The other thread appears to be shut down. Gone.  Any reference I have to it and searching for it, results in a screen that says "Something is not working."  Looks like Intuit doesn't want everyone to know about how I called them out on how difficult it can be to reach support, or the fact that the system is designed this way.  

Unfortunate, as there was an interesting conversation going on and one of the Intuit staff was actually very proactive in the thread - genuinely trying to help.  

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello again, northerngirl,

We value these kinds of discussions here in the QuickBooks Community as it helps users share their voices and find the answers they're looking for. I want to assure you that the other thread is still available, although I've noticed myself some issues with it loading in a particular browser. When I load it in Chrome, I'm getting the same message you are. Using another browser, I'm able to see it. I used Edge, but feel free to try Firefox or another browser as you prefer. I've brought this issue up to my team to see if we can find out what's going on with that thread.

I've left you a response over on that thread and I want to make sure you've got the information you need about that report and how it works in QuickBooks Desktop. Let me know if you're having trouble seeing it even in another browser.

northerngirl
Level 5

I tried using three other browsers and it still didn't work.  However, I cleared my cache in Chrome and the other thread now appears again.

Thanks to LauraAB for following up so quickly.  Very odd how it just suddenly didn't work.  I guess that's why I'm a bookkeeping consultant and not an IT person.

northerngirl
Level 5

Accchhhh!!! So frustrating!  I had the other thread up.  Closed it. Came back here to report.  Then went to go back and respond on the other thread and it was gone again.  Cleared my cache again.  It was back.  Typed up a reply, clicked Post and it was gone again!  It's a thread from Hades!

Anyway, at the end of the day, I'm going to note all of the discussions and move forward.  There still is some likelihood that there is an issue because it is still showing accounts that don't have any transactions for the past 3+ years, but it may be only with that one particular client books as I have been cleaning up messes from the previous consultant and various bookkeepers for the past several years.  

Thanks to Laura and James for all their input here and on the other (elusive) thread.

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

I'm glad to hear the thread came back for you, but it's odd that it continues to disappear. I'll update the Community tech team so they can look into it further. I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to our attention.

I know cleaning up a set of books someone else was using can be a challenge. To clarify what I mentioned on the other thread, if the account ever had transactions, it'll show up in the Trial Balance report. Filtering for specific dates may help with seeing only the information you need. I hope with a combination of each of the things I've mentioned, you're able to move forward with tidying up the books.

I see the response on the other thread now and will take a closer look to make sure I'm covering each of your concerns. It's been my pleasure to assist. :)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us