cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
fsbuchan
Level 1

I am unable to file my VAT. Is this because HMRC have changed to two-step authentication?

I have always been able to file my VAT via VAT - File VAT - File online and then completing the User ID, password and Agent type.  I am now getting the message "Authentication Failure.  The supplied user credentials failed validation for the requested service."

Is this because HMRC have moved onto a two-step authentication process or just that HMRC is down?

Many thanks for your help.

15 REPLIES 15
IntuitRyanE
Level 1

I am unable to file my VAT. Is this because HMRC have changed to two-step authentication?

Hi fsbuchan,

May I know what version of QuickBooks are you using?
fsbuchan
Level 1

It is Quickbooks Pro 2013
hpierce_jenkins
Level 1

I am using Quickbooks Pro 2014 and have had the same problem, need to file my return urgently, very poor of company if we cant anymore and have to buy newer software, notice would of been good.
Mollcons
Level 4

You will have to use the HMRC VAT portal to submit. Intuit do not intend to amend Quick Books versions older than 2 years to comply with the changed portal.
IntuitRyanE
Level 1

Hi fsbuchan,

If you are using a sunset version of QuickBooks such as 2014 and below, you will no longer be able to file VAT online inside QuickBooks. You can, however, use the paper filing option on your version of QuickBooks or upgrade to the latest version to continue filing VAT online.

acl
Level 1

Why are we not able to do online filing for VAT? has the software been changed to prevent this for older versions.
john-pero
Community Champion

Online filing as well as bank feeds and merchant services are all part of what is no longer supported after the 3 years of support for products is up. Your product has been or should have been unable to perform online activity 2 years ago
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surely this can't be right?

I'm using Quickbooks Premier 2015, and I tried this afternoon to file my VAT but was unable to do so for the first time ever.

While I realise that Intuit have recently ceased support for this version, the software is the same software, and the online filing doesn't go through Intuit's servers; it simply connects directly with HMRC. Hence the VAT filing  should continue to work regardless of Intuit's lack of product support.

Furthermore, while Intuit's sunset policy pages do indicate that this version won't support the new 'Making Tax digital' protocols from April 2019 onwards, there is no indication that the current filing system should cease to work at any time before then.

Please can somebody explain what's really going on here as a matter of urgency, and advise how this problem can be resolved so that we can continue to file our VAT returns online?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the real reason why this is happening:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.burgesshodgson.co.uk/hmrc-changing-vat-portal/">https://www.burgesshodgson.co.uk/hmrc-ch...>
accounts17
Level 1

Thank you for the link stressful*5, which is far more helpful than QB. Why on earth did they not give a reason for the error message themselves - that would be too much trouble I suppose. Well, that's now made the decision for me - I can get rid of my Quickbooks Pro 2015 and transfer all my clients to an alternative much better, and well supported program. I certainly won't miss QB as I have always found it to be unfriendly to use.
AdeLewis
Level 1

I've suddenly found this problem with QB2016. My last return submitted in February was fine. I am very annoyed that this has not been announced and I have to suddenly find out when my VAT return is about to become overdue. Would it have been so difficult to warn your customers?
dan16
Level 1

I'm using QB Pro 2013 and now have the same problem ..... I guess manual filing on HMRC's site now ..... LOL @ "making tax digital!"
Mollcons
Level 4

@dan - Intuit have stated unequivocally several times that they only support their desktop products for two/three years. In this case you can consider yourself lucky that HMRC have only recently amended their security on login which means that your version of Quick Books Desktop is no longer able to connect to ANY HMRC services.
AdeLewis
Level 1

@Mollcons We’re not suggesting they fix it, just that they should have warned us that HMRC had made a change so we’d have to either upgrade or submit manually.

When it’s a few hours till your return becomes overdue and you suddenly get this problem, you then go into blind panic mode for however long it takes to find out what’s happened. If I’d known in advance I would have avoided an hour of near nervous breakdown! They should have told us as a matter of courtesy.
pgbish
Level 1

It seems to me that Intuit have deliberately updated the software of older versions to prevent online filing.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us