cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cartercarrigan
Level 1

How do I delete or edit a memorized transaction?

When I try to delete a memorized transaction, it is greyed out in the Edit menu.  When I try to edit it, I cannot edit the amount or the split.
Solved
Best answer December 10, 2018

Best Answers
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Lists>memorized transactions, select the transaction in question, then use edit>delete memorized transaction.

View solution in original post

SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Here is a work around from an older thread, however if you did not see the popup on your first attempt to re memorize the transaction go to quickbooks>preferences>data entry and reset one time messages before you try anything else.

Try writing a check to the same credit card company you used for the CC Refund transaction (for example the transaction name might be American Express).  You don’t have to enter anything else.  Then memorize the check.  QB will say that transaction name is already on the list and asks if you want to replace it.  Click replace.  The transaction type should now be changed to “Check”.  If so, you can now delete the transaction.  It’s a goofy method, but it worked for my purposes. 

View solution in original post

22 Comments 22
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Lists>memorized transactions, select the transaction in question, then use edit>delete memorized transaction.
cartercarrigan
Level 1

The "delete memorized transaction" button is greyed out.  It will not let me delete it.
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Here is a work around from an older thread, however if you did not see the popup on your first attempt to re memorize the transaction go to quickbooks>preferences>data entry and reset one time messages before you try anything else.

Try writing a check to the same credit card company you used for the CC Refund transaction (for example the transaction name might be American Express).  You don’t have to enter anything else.  Then memorize the check.  QB will say that transaction name is already on the list and asks if you want to replace it.  Click replace.  The transaction type should now be changed to “Check”.  If so, you can now delete the transaction.  It’s a goofy method, but it worked for my purposes. 

deb5
Level 1

Thank you! this problem has been driving nuts. Your answer is the first one I've found this helpful
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you want to edit it, open the transaction and make the changes.  then go to Edit > Memorize Transaction and QB will ask if you want to create a new one or change the old one.

If this answers your question please recommend it.
cartercarrigan
Level 1

OK I did that but QB never asked if I wanted to create new or change the old.  Now I have two memorized transactions and I cannot delete either one of them.
Anonymous
Not applicable

oy...you're on a mac.  mac might be different.  try opening the memorized transaction list.  if there is an Edit button at the top, click and delete the transaction.
cartercarrigan
Level 1

There is an Edit button but the "delete" function is greyed out, i.e., I cannot use it.
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Confirm your login privileges and that you are in single user mode.
cartercarrigan
Level 1

Yes I am
SkinnyRaven
Level 8

Is this by any chance a credit card transaction?
cartercarrigan
Level 1

yes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Desktop ProPlus 2017 and there are no edit options so that I can delete memorized transactions.  How do I delete?

JamesDuanT

Thanks for joining in on the thread, cuttingedgetraining.

You still need to right-click on the memorized transaction you want to delete. Thus, giving you the Delete Memorized Transaction option to delete it. You can check out the screenshot below for a clearer view.

Let me know if you need more help with this.

Capture.JPG

lsimon
Level 1

Did you learn how to edit the dollar amount on a Mac in Memorized Transactions if the amount has changed?

MaryGraceS

Hello there, @lsimon.

Thank you for joining in the Community. I'd be happy to help and walk you through in editing the amount of a memorized transaction. 

To save the changes, you need to replace the transaction.

Here's how:

1. Choose Lists.
  2. Select Memorized Transactions
  3. Double-click the transaction.
  4. Change the amount.
  5. Click Memorize.
  6. On the pop-up message, select Replace.

Make sure not to save and close the transaction until you're ready to post it. 

I'm adding this article for future reference: QuickBooks Desktop for Mac 2019 User’s Guide.

Also, if you need to reach out for more help, our phone agents will be able to help you get to a resolution quickly.

Here's how: 

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. At the top right, select your QuickBooks version.
  3. Select a topic.
  4. Click on the Get Phone Number button.

This will guide you update the amount of the memorized transaction.

I'm just a post away if you should have any questions about memorized transactions. I'll be happy to help you out. 

Sullisol
Level 1

Use Command + D in QB 2019 for Mac

das2
Level 1

Spot on! The only way to delete (Not EDIT) a memorized transaction on QB for Mac is to select the invoice and hit Command D.  Thank you so much for this tip!

skodonnell
Level 2

command D for mac (It is also under the menu - Edit - Delete Memorized Transaction)

skodonnell
Level 2

command d for mac (also under the edit drop down menu)

amgloans
Level 1

I cannot find any actual answer to this question of how to change the amount of a memorized transaction.  Everyone states, double click and change but the problem is there is not place for the amount when editing a memorized transaction.  If I change a past transaction it does not save in the memorized list.  The only way I have figured out how to do this is either on the day its supposed to post or post a future one, or delete old and create new.  If someone has an actual step by step with images of what they claim is the answer I would love to see it.  This is for Mac 2016.

Thanks

AlexV
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for visiting us, amgloans.

I understand that we also need to update something on our company data.

Any changes from the old transactions won't reflect on your existing memorized transactions. You'll want to continue doing your workarounds while we're unable to edit its amount.

I'll also send feedback about this to our developers to have an option to edit the amount of all memorized transactions.

Keep on posting if you need more help. I'll be here!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us