import paypal payment from customer and apply to invoice

I have read several answers here saying that when importing from paypal you should make paypal a bank account.  That is working fine, it appears, and payments from customers get added as deposits to my PayPal bank account.

But, then i have an invoice for this customer.  I can "Receive Payments" and manually copy the transaction and invioice id from paypal, and separate out the tax myself.  It would really be nice if the import from paypal could do all this for me.

But when i do it manually, when it comes to choosing an account to deposit to, if i choose PayPal, then there are 2 deposits, duplicates, from this customer to the paypal account.  If i choose Undepositive Funds, then, still there are 2, and if i transfer that money into the PayPal acct, then there are again duplicate deposits.
    Cancel
    I think this is the answer is stated as qbteachmt's <qbteachmt> answer to this question:
    https://community.intuit.com/questions/617042-creating-invoices-and-or-sales-receipts-after-the-depo...

And i think the answer is, there is no value in importing paypal transactions.  You have to enter them manually as invoice+payment or sales receipt to deposit.

I replied to that question with details.

• The way to correct those deposits, is open them, and then click the payments button, which will give you a list of the payments you have entered. Select the payment(s) that make up that deposit, and then delete the lines that where imported.(Select line, Ctrl Delete)
      That way you can still use the import, and correcting the deposit may be no worse then creating it in the first place, may even be easier, as the total for the deposit is there already. ??
    Cancel
    Have a look ate the other apps mentioned in this excerpt from qblittlesquare.com

PayPal offers a utility to import these transactions directly into QuickBooks using Intuit Interchange Format (.iif).

Although a bit limited, the utility is useful if you just want to keep track of your revenues and deposits. If you need a more robust utility that includes customer and item detail, check out www.simpleport.net or www.bigredconsulting.com. Both of these companies charge a fee for their software and/or services.

Cancel
      Don't enter manual Deposits and then also try to import data. That will result in two different types of activities for the same data.
        Cancel
        Payments should never be added as deposits. I am not familiar with importing from PayPal, but if its payments they need to first be entered as Receive Payment, then deposited from Undeposited Funds.
        • Thanks so much for your response.  Unfortunately the problem is entirely related to the paypal import :(
        Cancel
        Contribute an answer

People come to Small Business Community for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
        2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
        3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
        4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
        5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.
        Cancel