Why is QB 2014 Pro Crashing on Windows 8

I recently upgraded to 2014 Pro. I have a new lap top that's running Windows 8. Everything was working fine until last week when Quickbooks just crashes on me without an error message. After the 4th time this occurred, I called the great support people for a service I was paying for. After 2 days and over 5 hours on the phone with me, I get told it's a Windows problem and to call Microsoft about it?!?!?!? They claimed I had "errors" in Windows that interfere with QB's functionality. I ran a scan, found the errors, used a repair tool and received a clean bill of Windows health twice for my computer. Feeling accomplished, I open QB and what happens? IT STILL CRASHES!!!!

Does anyone else have any clue what the problem is, because the 8 support people I spoke to clearly do not.
  • Did you upgrade to Windows 8.1?
  • No, I have not yet.
  • Did you reinstall or repair the Installation? (I played with a Win8 Installation but didn't feel committed enough to retrain the homestead, so I'm running Win7.)  Which Anti-virus is running?
  • I repaired the installation and validated that there were no further errors or missing components.  I'm trying to avoid rebooting my entire computer and reinstalling Windows.  I use Avast for anti-virus.  I've disabled the software and put QB on a safe list without any change.
  • Normally QuickBooks launches the last company file that was open. There may be an issue with the data file that causes the application to crash.
    Check the tools available on this page: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/Support/Articles/INF23986
    If that gets to working, AVAST may need more folders listed than those in the KB http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/HOW12825
    Seems like the QuickBooks installation in Win8 is different and you may need to include some of the folders in the user accounts.. when you get back to running Avast.
    I still run Microsoft Security Essentials....
  • Thank you for the suggestions.  I ran the file doctor and there was no problem with my company file.  I then ran the component repair tool and restarted my computer.  It still seems to crash without an error message.

I installed QB on my home computer that's also running Windows 8 and it worked without any problems.  I also use Avast anti-virus on that computer as well.
  • I've got the same problem only I'm running a virgin Win8.1 on a RAID array with QuickBooks 2014 Pro and it's data files running off of a separate SSD HDD.  I setup this because I found out that QB does not function well in a RAID environment.  So I started all over and placed QB on a separate internal SSD HDD.  Still get crashes when I am attempting to perform an 'ending' task like Save, Email, Print, Create Invoice from Estimate, you know the regular day to day work stuff.   Save often, Love not!
Cancel
"I'm trying to avoid rebooting my entire computer and reinstalling Windows."
I think you may be at your own worst case scenario...
  • yup.  that's what today's fun will be all about.  Thanks again though.
Cancel
I was having a similar issue and came across this Intuit quickbooks support page. 

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/SLN42882

My problem was resolved by just doing Solution 3: Renaming the QBWUSER.INI file.

Hope this helps you as well.
    Cancel
    Contribute an answer

People come to Small Business Community for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.
    Cancel