QuickBooks Learn & Support Home Page

changing deposit accounts on sales receipts

I have 2007 quickbooks. My original bookkeeper set up all sales receipts go into undeposited accounts. My new bookkeeper suggested I need to separate into different accounts. That said I need to go back and edit past sales receipts that were deposited to undeposited, to a new account I created. However, when I try to do that I get this error message:

“You need to delete this sales receipt from the deposit before you can edit its name or amount. Discard changes and continue?”

How do I make the change?

My new bookkeeper suggested I need to separate into different accounts.

Undeposited funds is only a holding account used prior to making deposits. Make your selection for the deposit account from make deposits. Income accounts are assigned at the item level.
      I don't mean to be glib; why do you need to do it? It seems to me that is what the new bookkeeper should be doing?
        My new bookkeeper suggested I need to separate into different accounts.

What different accounts?  This doesn't  sound logical.
          After it goes into undeposited funds, then you record the deposit to the appropriate bank account.  It doesn't stay in undeposited funds.  Here's a quick video I made to help you understand undeposited funds and how it works:  

You need to determine if this mistake has occurred in your file.  Or does your new bookkeepers not understand undeposited funds.  
          • Hi, thanks for the answers. So basically when people buy from my website I just create a sales receipt. The default was undeposited funds. Now for online sales, payment is by paypal who processes credit card payments. It sits in that account until I withdraw it to my business account. What was happening is the flow of funds from these sales receipts, to paypal than to the bank account, were not being documented the same way in quickbooks. They were just going to undeposited funds where they have piled up all year. My book keeper suggested I do the grunt work to save money by just going chronologically through the sales orders and changing the account from undeposited to paypal. And then we can move from paypal to my business account. However, when I open the old sales receipts I get the error message preventing me from changing to paypal which is listed as a bank.
          • I might want to add my former book keeper who died is the one who set up to undeposited funds. My new book keeper suggested since I do most of the entries each day for sales and what not (she comes quarterly) it would be easier to make this change.
          Contribute an answer

People come to QuickBooks Learn & Support for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
          2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
          3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
          4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
          5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Similar questions other people found helpful: