Moving from Quickbooks 2002 to 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to see if anyone out there has experience or information on how to get a data file from an old version (specifically 2002) to Quickbooks 2014. I tried to find information about data file compatibility through numerous Google searches, but was not able to find any definitive information. I thought for sure Intuit would have something published about this topic, but this is the best article I could find:

http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/INF12403

Unfortunately, even though the title is exactly what I'm looking for, the information there isn't terribly helpful.

We purchased copies of Quickbooks 2004 and Quickbooks 2006 because I had read that Quickbooks 2004 is needed to allow for import into 2006 or later. So, I know we can at least get that far.

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Cancel
    If you purchase the new version from Intuit, they should provide free installation and upgrade help.
    • That's true, but will they help with getting the data file imported from such an old version? I have a bad feeling they would just say something about how I would need to be coming from a newer version in order for them to help me.
    Cancel
    Actually, QB 2006 or so is when the data base structure was changed.

So, I would Restore the backup, then update from 2002 to 2006. If that works, rebuild the file and make a new backup. Now, go to 2008 or 2009. If that works, rebuild the file and make another backup. Then go to 2014.

You can try going directly to 2014. But I have been having trouble with 2010 to 2014 updates.
    • Thanks for the advice. Yeah, getting to 2006 isn't a problem at all since I have a copy of 2004 and 2006. It's going from 2006 to 2014 that I'm concerned about. I don't want to have to purchase 2008 just to be able to purchase 2014 and get the data file imported.
    • Once I jumped from QB 2003 to QB 2010 and it worked. So do not give up without trying. You might want to make a copy of your file and attempt to open it up in QB 2014. Sometimes the opening worked better for me than the restoring from a backup.

Reka
    • Good to know...thanks!
    Cancel
    There is a link to a trial version of QB 2010 if that helps, http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/Articles/HOW12750
    • That could prove to be very useful. Thank you!
    Cancel
    I have a client still having issues going from 2010 to 2014. I am going to increment it for him. I think I will go 2010-2012-2013-2014. And, rebuild in between each step.
      Cancel
      Thanks for the advice everyone. Believe it or not, it actually seems to have worked to take the company file straight from 2002 to 2014. It took a while to upgrade the file, but there were no errors given after the process was finished.

My only question now would be...is there any chance that even though 2014 didn't show any errors, that going from such an old company file straight to 2014 could case problems with the data?
      • It is not likely, that there is going to be problems with your file if the upgrade went through without a glitch.. A Verify/Rebuild would not hurt.

Reka
      Cancel
      I always recommend a rebuild.
        Cancel
        Contribute an answer

People come to Small Business Community for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
        2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
        3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
        4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
        5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.
        Cancel