The barcode scanner works with Item List, but not Make a Sale

The barcode scanner can be used to find an Item when searching in the Item List view but the same item cannot be found when using the barcode scanner searching in the Make a Sale view.

This does not occur for all items in our inventory, just certain items. But I have not been able to determine a similarity between the items that are not scanning in the Make a Sale view.

Additionally, in the older version of POS, if this occurred while in the Make a Sale view, the application would not allow the user to continue to scan items if the previously scanned item was not found. In this version of POS unless you are viewing the screen while scanning, there is not an error message, nor any other warning, the scanner beeps and shows green, the user is allowed to continue to scan Items to sell. However, the scanned Item has NOT been added to the sale list.

What can I do to address this issue? I have gone through the hardware verification of the scanner and it is scanning the appropriate item number. If I manually enter the item number into the Make a Sale search window, the item is found without issue.

I am not sure what the issue is, but any suggestion to help resolve this would be appreciated.
  • The Item does show up in the "Item List" when scanning the barcode but when we go to "Make a Sale" the same barcode returns nothing.  My guess is that the "Item List" search is not exact while the "Make a Sale" search is.  This is because Quickbooks POS 2013 adds numbers to fill in the barcode to meet the character length via adding leading zeros or a random number to the other side.  It works if you just have the leading zeros in "Make a Sale" but if any other number was added it will not.
    Can we change this so that the search in "Make a Sale" functions like the search in the "Item List?"
Cancel
Items in QBPOS can be scanned by the QB item number or by UPC number in the upc field.  Which type of barcode are you having trouble returing the item?  If it is UPC the it is likely the upc code is entered incorrectly into the system.
    Cancel
    Contribute an answer

People come to Small Business Community for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
    2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
    3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
    4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
    5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.
    Cancel