Small Business Community Home Page

Unable to print to PDF printer, printer not activated, error code -20 after installing QB 2012 on Windows 8 x64, clean install. Ran PDF fixer. No help.

After running PDF fixer and starting Quickbooks I now get a component missing error

Component required for PDF print from Quickbooks is missing!  That error did not occur before I ran the PDF fixer.  

Got this for PDF Results note:

Exit code: 3

-------------

XPS results: 

.inf files found. Reinstalling XPS writer using prnms001.inf.

NOTE:  See fix below!

Cancel

Found the fix.  Many thanks to synergymm713.  

I am posting it here again.  It is very simple and it is apparently a known issue for QB 2012 and Windows 8.  You'd think Intuit would post the fix so it was not a 2 day search.

From synergymm713:

I copied the XPS Writer .inf file from a WIndows 7 PC I had (system32/spool/tools) and updated the driver for the XPS Writer v4 that was on my Windows 8 PC in the printers section.  The XPS writer was renamed to Microsoft XPS Document Writer (without the v4) and all is working again.  I have a feeling that perhaps it was Microsoft Office 2010 that created the problem because this was working out of the gate with just quickbooks 2012 and no other programs installed.   

If you don't have access to a spare W7 PC, I
     posted the files here:  www.cosinecs.com/W8-PDF-fix.html

Cancel

Here is a similiar problem that may help you solve yours:

http://community.intuit.com/posts/quickbooks-2011-save-as-pdf-error-missing-component-20

•  Did not help.  I had already tried that fix several times.  Now when I start QB, there is no missing component message.  But when I click on send a form via email I get the missing component message which points me to the PDF fixer page on Intuit site. After saying ok to the missing component message, it says QB could not create the necessary PDF files and to restart QB, which does not help.  BTW, QB is up to date.    
      Cancel

Try Lock Unlock PDF Tool from here http://www.lockunlockpdf.com/

Cancel
        Contribute an answer

People come to Small Business Community for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
        2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
        3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
        4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
        5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.
        Cancel