cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
rachel25
Level 2

Is there any way to have custom fields on invoices auto-populate based on the customer (adding custom field to the customer, like a 'default' code)?

6 Comments 6
LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Is there any way to have custom fields on invoices auto-populate based on the customer (adding custom field to the customer, like a 'default' code)?

Hello rachel25,

This is a great question. I'm glad to see you've discovered how to add custom fields to your invoices. I'm happy to go over how they work.

The custom fields you can add to sales forms can be just about anything you need. Because of that, the program doesn't auto-populate the fields because they aren't linked to a specific area of the program to pull the information from. Filling in the field with what you need each time you fill out the form will ensure the information is included.

Feel free to leave feedback about this feature by going to the Gear icon in the upper right of your account and clicking Feedback. These comments are shared with the product development team for consideration in future updates.

Learn more about customizing sales forms here: Customize your invoices, estimates, and sales receipts in QuickBooks Online

I'm here if you have more questions. Enjoy your week!

rachel25
Level 2

Hi LauraAB,

Thanks for the response. I thought that was the case but was hoping for a work-around. I'd like to associate sales reps with each of my invoices, but rather than having to look it up on an outside program, I wanted something that I could add on an account-level. 

Is there any other feature that would work for this that you could point me to?

Thanks,

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

You're welcome! There isn't anything that's built into the product at this time that would autofill a sales rep based on the customer you choose. Using the method you've got is the workaround I would suggest, especially if you'd like your customer to be able to see the rep's name as well.

Another option to consider is class tracking. This is available in QuickBooks Online Plus package accounts and still requires you to manually choose an option, but the classes can be pre-set so that you don't have to type something every time. Learn more about class tracking here: Get started with class tracking in QuickBooks Online. Essentially, you could set up each sales rep as a "class," and then add their name to sales form. This is only for internal tracking, however, so your customer wouldn't be able to see the name.

You can also take a look at available partner applications to see if something there can do what you're looking for. To check the options, click the Apps tab in your account and then use keywords to search the options.

I hope that helps!

rachel25
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion. I have classes set up to track by department, is there a possibility to use more than one type of class?

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

That's a good way to use classes for sure. You can set up classes for whatever you'd like and you're welcome to explore that option. You wouldn't be able to combine or assign more than one class to a transaction though, so if you'd need both the department and a sales rep, this wouldn't work for you. Let me know if that makes sense.

Kakareka
Level 1

Hi Rachel, I know this is old but we are able to assign a "rep" in our customer center and it follows each new sales order that is created for that customer. Hope that helps! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us