cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
PaReco
Level 1

Can I partially pay a bill and leave one (or more) line items from the invoice as unpaid and pending?

We have a sub-contractor who invoiced us for, let's say, 5 items. We want to pay 4 items, and leave the 5th until our client sends us the payment for the sub-contractor. If I try to delete the line item off the invoice before payment it seems to be gone forever. Is there a way to partially pay the bill and leave the last line item listed as pending in QB?

The only way I can figure to do it right now is to delete the line item, and then create a new invoice under that sub-contractor with the invoice number XXXv2 or something, and put only the one line item on the new invoice so that it will still show up as pending payment.

Thanks!

1 Comment 1
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Can I partially pay a bill and leave one (or more) line items from the invoice as unpaid and pending?

Hi, @PaReco.

Thanks for reaching out to the Community. Let me help share some details on how to apply partial payment for your bill in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Based on the scenario you've provided, you can create a Purchase Order (PO) with the line items, and convert it to a bill. Then, you have an option to update the quantity or remove the line item if you make a partial payment. 

Here's how:

1. Click the Plus (+) icon.
  2. Select Purchase Order.
  3. From the Vendor drop-down menu, select your vendor.
  4. In the Category details and/or Item details section, enter the purchases.
  5. Select Save and close to complete the entry.

Next, you can now convert to a bill. Here's how:

1. Open the Purchase Order you've created.
  2. Select Copy to Bill.
  3. On the right side, look for the PO and click Add.
  4. Update the Quantity or click the trash bin icon to remove the item that is not included in the partial payment. 
  5. Click Save and Close.

Once done, you can now follow the detailed steps in this article on how to apply the bill payment: How to enter and pay bills

By doing this, you can easily track the item that was paid or unpaid since PO will keep the unpaid item as open. 

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Online Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a screen-sharing.

This should get you on the right track. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have additional questions about vendor transaction. Wishing you and your business continued success. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us