Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
David2020
Level 1

Assigning future bank transactions a category

Hi.

I'm a builder, although there was no option remotely near that type of work when I had to choose closest type of business to my own whilst setting up the account. My issue with this is that I have a lot of transactions from building supplies companies which from the imported bank information Quickbooks lists the transactions as "Property/equipment repairs," where as pretty much every one is "Other business expenses". If I could select a profile close to builder/maintenance worker then that would probably sort this issue? It just seems a waste of energy assigning each transaction every time.

3 REPLIES 3
MirriamM

Thanks for visiting us here in the Community, David2020.

I'm here to get the help you need in categorising your transactions.

In QuickBooks Self-Employed, we have this feature called Rules (or Bank Rules), which allows you to set up your own conditions for categorising bank and credit card transactions. With this feature, setting up rules can be an important time saver, especially for businesses with predictable transactions.

To create Rules, here's what you'll need to do:

1. Click the Gear icon on the upper right hand.
  2. Select Rules from the cogwheel drop-down menu.
  3. From the Rule page, click Create rule.
  4. Fill out the necessary information.
  5. Check the box if you want to apply Rule to past transactions
  6. Click Save.

To give you more of an idea about this process, here's a great resource that you can check: Use rules to speed up reviewing and categorising transactions.

For additional reference, you may find below articles helpful in the future:

Feel free to get back to me if you have any other questions, I'm always here to offer additional assistance.

David2020
Level 1

That's brilliant, thank you. I hadn't noticed the check box for "apply to past transactions. All sorted now. I do have another slight issue. Is it possible to view the community responses in another font as I'm finding it hard to read?

Thank you

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are most welcome, David2020.

It's our duty to be able to provide help.  

For now, there isn't an option to change the font style in the Community page. However, I can definitely pass it on to our Product Developers Team. They will definitely review this feedback that we have collected.

By the way, if you have other questions with QuickBooks Online, you may check out our self-help articles here for future references. 

You can always reach out to us if you need anything else. Have a great day! 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us