Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Annie-W
Level 1

Attaching files to expenses

In QuickBooks Online, I attach a scanned/emailed PDF to each expense transaction. 

With bills, I attach the file to the bill and then on the payment transaction, I use 'Attach existing' to create a link to the same PDF, so that I am not uploading it twice. 

This has been fine until a couple of days ago: I'm no longer able to select the most recent uploads from the list of existing files. Is there some kind of restriction on how many files it can pull, or a setting I'm missing?

I have already tried the usual log in and out/empty cache/try another browser routine with no luck. 

5 REPLIES 5
EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello Annie-W

We have tried to replicate in the show existing section on a bill and have not been able to.Do the attachments show when you click on show existing on the left hand side,is it just when you click on add they do not show in the attachment box?How many files are you attaching?There is not really a set limit.Do you get an error message at all?

Thanks

Emma

Annie-W
Level 1

Hi Emma, 

Thanks for the reply. 

There are no error messages, just missing files in the list. On the right hand side of the screen, the sidebar appears where I can select 'All' and it lists existing files - but it does not include the latest files.

But, I've been thinking about it a bit more and I think it's just the files that have been added on the day I am working. E.g. yesterday I added files to bills and could not locate them to link to later in the day and the same thing happened today, so perhaps it has started to need an overnight before they can be selected?  I've not noticed this behaviour before. 

[NB: these would not be better added as expenses rather than bills - I might need to retrospectively add a bill that was received one day and paid another, or might add it in the morning and be able to pay it later in the day.]

I've tried both :

a) In the invoice/payment details screen, I click the 'Show existing' link and the 'All' option from the bar on the right. 

b) In the 'Expense Transactions' list I click the 'Attach a file' link at the end of the row, select 'All' from the bar on the right. 

If it turns out I need to wait overnight, I'll have to start to take that into account! 

EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello Annie

There should not be any delay in it being available to use.If you in the bill select the paperclip and browse to the file does it upload straight away.We have tired creating a new attachment adding it and then in both the examples you gave it appears to use.It seems it may be a display issue. Can we ask you to try in a private or incognito window, also if possible can you try in a 4g connection if you are using a vpn or broadband connection just so we can rule these out.

Thanks

Emma

Annie-W
Level 1

Hi Emma, 

I have tried this morning with both an incognito window and on a 4G phone connection. No luck! The available files are exactly the same in all cases. Some of the files I added on 4 Sept are available to select, others are not. Anything added yesterday is not. 

Annie

EDIT: I should probably add, nothing has changed as far as I am aware re the computer or connection. 

TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Hello Annie-W,

We have emailed you through a case, please reply to that with your screenshots. :)

Thanks,

Talia

Need to get in touch?

Contact us