cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Level 2

QB server manager questions

Hi all, I have a customer (accountant) that works on hundreds of QuickBooks data files. He stores them out their server. Here is the issue, when he gets a data files (backup) from one of the customers, he restores it to the server. It always comes back with an error so he has been restoring the data files to the local computer, working on the data file and then creates a backup to the server. Not ideal because there are other users that need to access that same data.

Now, as I understand, the QB server manager runs every 24 hours.

So, temporarily, this is what I do to get them going;

I have them restore their files to the server. Each time they restore, it fails but really, it appears to restore properly.

They email me and I remote into the server and run the QB server manager. 5 minutes later, they are able to access all of those restored files.

Questions

1. He can’t be the only one that is going through this issue so I’m guessing there ‘may’ be a better way to do this? If not…
  2. Can the QB server manager be changed to run let’s say run every 30 minutes?
7 Comments 7
Aphylis

Hi @1106113077,

Quickbooks Database Server Manager can run 24 hrs depends on the server if it's kept opened. As for the file that one of the user saved on the server where you had the problem on opening, we have to make sure that the company file was saved on one of the scanned drive of your Database Server Manager. 

To troubleshoot the problem we can try to Restart Database Server Manager.

1. Open QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer.
  2. Go to the File menu. Then select Open or Restore Company.
  3. Select Open a company file. Find and open your company file. Then select Next.
  4. Select the Open file in multi-user mode checkbox, then select Open.
  5. Log in to your company file.
  6. Go to the File menu and select Close Company/Log off. This closes your company file on the server.
  7. Open the Windows Start menu.
  8. Type “Database” into the search and open QuickBooks Database Server Manager.

If the issue still persist after restoring you can contact Quickbooks support team so a representative can check on the setup and also on how the company file was saved on the server. 

Let me know if you have any other question. 

Level 2

Thanks for the reply but I still have the two questions.

What is the process to accessing multiple files during the day as the accountant gets them BASED on the fact that the QB database server manager only runs once a day?

This has been ongoing for quite a while now, I’ve contacted QB support and they told me that the only solution is do what we are currently doing, re-run the QB DB server manager scan each time we restore a file to the windows server.

Just to be precise in what I’m doing, here is the exact process

1. Retrieve customer backup data file from USB key and copy it to C:\Temp
  2. Open up QB 2019 and open up the backup file and restore to Q:\QB_Data
  3. After the company file is restored, QB throws an error: -6000,-83
  4. Acknowledge the error, Ok
  5. Remote into the windows server and run QB dB manager and start scan
  6. After the scan is complete, switch back over to the workstation that we are working on
  7. Open the company file – no issues.

That is the process that we go through and it works.

This can’t be the way things work but it appears to be the way it works here.

That is why I’m asking the two questions.

Level 2

I reposted the question again as I have not found an answer to my issue

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello! I've responded to your other post, QB database manager on server. Simply click that link and it'll take you to it if you haven't already had the chance to take a look.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @1106113077 ,

Do you run QuickBooks on server as storage only OR a host?

Level 2

storage only

Anonymous
Not applicable

We found some similar cases (6 or 7 clients on Premier 2017 and Premier Accountant 2018) and had them switching their server to become host. We didn't hear any issue yet. You may consider running the trial scenario during weekend. Hope it works.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us