Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

Guys latest update for Windows Desktop now logs out with inactivity. One of the advantages of using the desktop version over the browser was that you did not have to log in every 20 minutes 

Since the latest update it now logs out repeatedly - Please get this fixed as it is so annoying 

17 REPLIES 17
EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Sign in Windows

Hello

Thanks for contacting the Community.

Can we just ask when you use the windows app are you opening multiple tabs?

Emma

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

No just the one tab - but it shouldn't matter anyway ? 

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Sign in Windows

Thanks for clarifying that out, @cwright1.

In cases like this, we'll need to verify if your login set up has been configured correctly. I'd be pleased to walk you through on how to do that.

All users will be automatically logged out from QuickBooks at the end of the login period if you haven't specified a log in preference. 

Let's go ahead and check on your set up:

1. Click on Edit at the top menu bar.
  2. Select on Preferences.
  3. Choose General.
  4. Under Company Preferences, refer to Manual Log in Settings.
  5. On the Keep user logged in for section, select the period that you wish to stay logged in with QuickBooks.

login.PNG

If your set up is correct and the issue persists you may run the verify and rebuild process to help fix program-related issues.

If doing this doesn't make a difference, I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Care Team. They can initiate a remote-viewing session to further isolate this matter. 

This should get you moving today.

Feel free to reach back out to me if you have any other concerns about this. Helping you is my priority. Take care!

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

When signed in windows (we operate windows 10 so not sure why our view differs from yours) rather than via browser and I click on edit I do not get the options you show - in fact many of the items in the top menu bar eg company when clicked do not then work - they are greyed out.

By clicking the Gear top right account & settings advanced at the bottom there is  a sign me out if inactive for 1,2 or 3 hours. I have changed from 1 to 3hrs  but this is not the solution and I suspect affects the browser settings . One of the bid advantages Quickbooks advertised with the Windows app was no need to keep logging in.

This change only happened after the latest update 

Please advise 

TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Sign in Windows

Hello cwright1,

Could you please go to Help along the top bar and select Reset app data? Once this has reset, please let us know if you experience the same issue.

Thanks,

Talia

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

Hi Talia

Thanks  - after logging back in the top menu options are now active. However, the edit - preferences suggested in the previous response to set the log out times to 2 days is still not visible  

The only options under Edit are undo, redo, cut, copy, paste, select all, find in page and search.

Can I check that the previous response was not for Mac's rather than windows?

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

Just looking again and in fact none of the company options are available so there is still an issue 

GeorgiaC
QuickBooks Team

Sign in Windows

Hey cwright1,

Apologies for the confusion as the screenshot above was for the QuickBooks Desktop product not the QuickBooks Online desktop app.

The steps to reset the app data (Toolbar > Help > Reset app data) are correct for the desktop app - please let us know if you continue to experience the logout error following this.

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

So to be clear the desktop app should not log out at all as before the latest quickbooks update for Windows?

Its just the desktop product was being set in the illustration to 2 days  suggesting a time limit applies?

EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Sign in Windows

Hi Cwright1

In the desktop app for windows previously yes it would stay signed in unless in the default browser in the saved passwords they were deleted for example then it would log it out. As the desktop app gets it background from the default browser.

The preferences link in the illustration is the QuickBooks Desktop product which is linked to an office server or pc not the QuickBooks Online product which is linked to a browser/the cloud server.One of the previous commenters mistook the desktop app query for a query about the desktop product we have.

Thanks

Emma

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

ok The confusion on the fix has not helped and to be clear I am using the Windows PC version to log in not the browser alternative for online.

The Desktop pc is still logged out this morning - the pc stays running 24/7. 

This problem only appeared after the latest QB update for windows. I suggest it is the update that caused the problem

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

An update - still appears to log out after a couple of hours inactivity when in the windows PC online version.

One of the selling points was not having to log in repeatedly as opposed to the web browser version.

Can someone understand the problem and fix it !!

GeorgiaC
QuickBooks Team

Sign in Windows

Hey cwright1,

A fix for login issues was released in version 4.0.2 - this was to rectify customers experiencing crash issues when using and logging into the app. Can you check you have the most recent version linked below and confirm if the issue is unresolved:

http://http-download.intuit.com/http.intuit/qbowinclient/download/index.html

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

How do I check which version is running ? 

I think it is the latest "fix" that is causing the problem - the last downloaded update was a couple of days ago as I have mentioned previously 

RaymondJayO

Sign in Windows

I understand what you feel, @cwright1

This isn't the kind of service that I want you to experience with using the QBO Desktop app. Here are the steps on how to check its version: 

1. Go to the Help menu at the top. 
  2. Select About QuickBooks
  3. See the app version. 

If it's not the latest one, you can uninstall the app. Here's how: 

1. Go to the Start menu.
  2. Select Settings, then choose System.
  3. Click Apps & features from the left pane. 
  4. Choose QuickBooks Windows app.
  5. Select the Uninstall button.

Then, download the most recent version through the link provided by GeorgiaC above. I'm adding this article to learn more about clearing cache, uninstalling, reinstalling, and using the app: QuickBooks App for Windows and Mac

However, if you're still receiving the same result, we're currently receiving reports that the app logs customer out when trying to open a new tab. Rest assured, our engineers are working for a permanent fix. As an alternative, you can access your QBO company through a supported browser

Also, I suggest contacting our support team. They'll add your account to the list of affected users. Then, they'll update you through email once there's an available fix. 

1. Go to the Help icon at the upper right. 
  2. Choose Contact Us.
  3. Type in your concern.
  4. Click Let’s talk.
  5. Choose Get a callback or Start messaging.
  6. Enter your contact information.
  7. Select Call me or Send message.

I appreciate your patience while we're working on this. Please let me know if you need anything else.

cwright1
Level 5

Sign in Windows

Thanks for your concern but clicking help does not show about quickbooks - only search questions/topics

I have looked at the Gear symbol and elsewhere but cannot find the current version or anything that says about6 quickbooks.

I am wasting so much time on this !!!!!

TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Sign in Windows

We have added you to the investigation into the issue, mentioned by my colleague above. We will be in touch via email once resolved. For the mean time, you will need to either continue to log back in, or use the browser.

Thanks,

Talia

Need to get in touch?

Contact us