cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
yidel5679
Level 1

Can one transaction be assigned to two classes at the same time?

4 Comments 4
AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Hello, 

Thanks for reaching out to the QuickBooks Community! I'd be happy to help shed some light on using Classes to categorize your transactions.

You're only able to assign one class to a single transaction at this time. I appreciate your feedback regarding this feature, and I'd be happy to pass along your thoughts to the product development team for review. We're always looking for new ways to improve our product.

In the meantime, here's an article you may find helpful: Set up and use class and location tracking.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out in the comments below. 

Have a great day!

yidel5679
Level 1

@AddieC, Hi and thanks for the answer.

I sometimes have transactions that I need to divide between business and personal (I also keep track of my personal accounts.) so it would be nice to be able to put them into two different classe

AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for reaching back out, yidel5679.

I see what you mean. Although QuickBooks Self-Employed is designed to allow you to track both business and personal transactions, QuickBooks Online is not. The Online version of QuickBooks is only able to track business transactions. 

If this is something you're looking for, perhaps you should investigate the Self-Employed version of the program. Here's more information about it: QuickBooks Self-Employed Overview.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Cheers!

Rochelley
Level 8

You can split a transaction into many lines or rows.

Go to Settings, Company, Track Classes, click and check Track classes to turn on.  Beneath that there is a choice to Assign classes One to each row in transaction or One to entire transaction.

Choose One to each row in transaction.

If this truly is your business account, and you are tracking mostly business expenses but have personal expenses mixed in, make sure to categorize your personal expenses to a Shareholder Loan account if you are incorporated, or to an Owner's Draw (Equity) account if you are not.

At the very least, categorizing your personal transactions will allow you to pull reports for those amounts.  Good luck!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us