cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
trentb
Level 1

How to automatically assign tax in QB when importing from a POS?

When importing invoices and payments from our POS into QB Desktop all of our transactions taxes are "unassigned", causing us to have to manually enter the tax item for each transaction. This is an issue we never previously had. 

Is there a way to prevent this and auto-assign the items?

8 Comments 8
Rochelley
Level 8

Can you clarify how you're doing the import?  Are you using 3rd party software?

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hi trentb,

Thanks for getting in touch. Making sure your information is correct between third-party services and QuickBooks is an important part of making sure your numbers are balanced. Since QuickBooks Desktop's Canadian products don't have a direct connection to a POS system, I suspect you're using an application or integration to connect the two. Because of that, I recommend starting troubleshooting on that end.

When it comes to these kinds of connections, QuickBooks relies on the configurations of the third-party creator ensure data is being transferred correctly. If you're using an app, search for it on the Apps for QuickBooks Desktop page to review support options. If it's a third-party integration, check out that party's website for more contact details.

Once that troubleshooting is done, feel free to give the QuickBooks Desktop support team a call at 1-877-772-9158. Pro and Premier agents are available 24/7 and Enterprise support is on hand from Monday to Friday between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET. Learn more about support here: Intuit QuickBooks Desktop support policies

I hope that helps!

trentb
Level 1

Hi,

Thank for your reply. We use a third party POS system. We export invoices/payments from the POS and import them into QB desktop as .IIF files. 

trentb
Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, we will continue look into it!

Thanks

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate the additional information of how you're getting this information into QuickBooks Desktop. I've got a few links here that go over importing .IIF files that may be able to help you with what you're looking at. Take a look at these while you continue working on a resolution.

All the best to you. :)

Rochelley
Level 8

I can't speak to exactly how you're doing your import/export, but the cause of the taxes being unassigned would be that the headers on your spreadsheet are not identically matched to the QB Fields.  I can say that when using Transaction Pro Importer (3rd party software which does the IIF conversion for you automatically from your spreadsheet), this does not occur.

If you aren't able to use the software I mentioned, the best thing to do is to create a dummy QB file and do lots of experimenting in importing your files to see where the problem lies.  I know when using Transaction Pro Importer, it was not enough to transfer the GST tax amount, the tax code itself must be mapped.  When I would do imports, I would have a column with the $ amount of GST and another column that had to be populated with the tax code, which in my case was 'GST'.  I wish I could give you some examples, but I actually haven't used it in awhile.  I just know that when I did, it was very slick and I loved it - saved me hundreds of hours in data entry.

OliM
Level 2

Can you provide an IFF example, please?

I need to create an invoice with S, but it is continuously importing with G (because I have G in customer preferences). I have tried S in IFF, and I have S fixed in the customer, but it didn't work. 

JamesM4
QuickBooks Team

Hello OliM. To make sure I'm on the same page as you, could you confirm the year and version of QuickBooks you're using? 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us