cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
rsmithn216
Level 1

I do manual payroll and need to know should i enter the transactions as a journal entry or is it best to add the employee as a vendor and record it that way?

2 Comments 2
JamesM
QuickBooks Team

I do manual payroll and need to know should i enter the transactions as a journal entry or is it best to add the employee as a vendor and record it that way?

Hi there,

I appreciate you reaching out to the Community. I'd be happy to assist and steer you in the right direction. 

To make sure your books are in order, I encourage you to reach out to your accountant to find out which way is the best for your business. In case you choose to take the journal entry option, you'll need to follow the steps outlined in this article: Record payroll transactions manually. Otherwise, feel free to ask questions, I'm here to assist. 

karissapownall
Level 1

I have read that article and it is not specific enough. I am taking over for another person who set up the charter of accounts. I believe there may have been a mistake made in how the accounts for payroll are set up for manual entry. 

I need to know how the accounts for Gross Wages and Company source contributions are to be set up. I also need to know if the Liabilities account is a sum of the tax, cpp and ei or if we are also supposed to include the company contributions as well. The journal entries do not balance and are always out by the contribution. Hence why I believe there was a mistake made in the way the accounts were set up. 

thank you for any insights.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us