cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
jennifer28
Level 1

Can we still retrieve our files from adage virus? Thank you and looking forward for you response.

5 Comments 5
Kristine Mae

Can we still retrieve our files from adage virus? Thank you and looking forward for you response.

I've learned that an adage virus encrypts files on a computer, Jennifer28. I'll do my best with helping you retrieve your files.

If you have created a backup copy and it wasn't encrypted, we can retrieve it using the wildcard search, then restore it in QuickBooks

Here's how to perform a wildcard search:

1. Click the Start or Windows menu.
  2. In the Search programs and files field, look for these files:
  • *.qbw (Working Files)
  • *.qbb (Back Up Files)
  • *.qba (Accountants Copy Files)
  • *.qbx (Accountants Transfer Files)
  • *.qby (Accountants Change Files)

Please make sure to include the Asterisk (*) key to ensure the search works. Once you're able to find the file, you can now restore it.

If you have an online backup, you can also retrieve the files, and restore the recent one. Here's how:

1. Open Intuit Data Protect.
  2. Select Restore from Backup.
  3. Select the date and time of the backup you'll want to restore, then select the file.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. Select the location for the restored file, then click Restore

Although, if you haven't created any backup, I'd suggest reaching out to our Data Services team so an agent can help you with retrieving your files. Here's how:

1. Visit our website: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_CA/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks Desktop.
  3. On the Contact Us page, click Solve issues and error messages, then click File and network management.
  4. Click Get Phone Number

If you need something else from us, don't hesitate to pop a comment below. 

Rustler
Level 15

@jennifer28 

Restoring your QB files is not going to solve the issue

google for the adage virus, there are several pages on how to get rid of it without paying a ransom

jennifer28
Level 1

Thank you for your response. Our IT is doing his best applying the procedures from google to get rid of ADAGE virus but it's now almost 1 week and still we haven't access the quickbooks.
jennifer28
Level 1

Thank you for your response. Our IT cannot retrieve these QB files because he reformat our server and he is now retrieving the information which taking him so long. Can we restore back up from QB Data Service ever if we don't use cloud accounting? Thank you
Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to us, @jennifer28.

I understand the need to retrieve your company file. Since your Adage Virus (Ransomware) server has been re-formatted, I suggest reaching out to your IT to recover the file from your hard drive.

Also, we don't have the option to restore a backup file from QuickBooks Data Service. As mentioned above, I recommend seeking help from your IT to recover the file.

In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: QBDT Self-help.  

If you have other concerns, feel free to comment below. The QuickBooks Community team is always here to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us