cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
CaptainEon
Level 1

No option for Paypal payment on recurring transactions?

28 REPLIES 28
Alessandra_B
QuickBooks Team

Hey @CaptainEon,

Currently, you're only able to choose PayPal as your payment option when creating invoices. Let me provide more details and a workaround you can consider.

In QuickBooks, you can choose to Use Direct Debit to receive payments from your customers.

The direct debit option allows you to automatically receive payments from your customers via PayPal. This option allows you to create your recurring transactions and get paid easily.

This said, you can sign up for GoCardless so you can receive payments automatically without hassle.

You can refer to this article for more information: Learn More About GoCardless Direct Debit for QuickBooks.

Please feel free to tag me in your comment if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be here to assist you.

CaptainEon
Level 1

Thanks for your response, however, you've missed the crux of my question which was, you cannot set PayPal payments when you were setting up recurring payments.

I have set up PayPal and I can see the option on normal invoices but there's no option to set it on recurring invoices

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the follow-up, @CaptainEon.

Allow me to help add some details about the PayPal payment. 

You're right, you can see this payment option on normal invoices. However, this isn't available in recurring transactions. 

As a workaround, you can create a recurring estimate instead. This way, you can manually send the invoice and select the PayPal payment option. 

For other references you can use in the future, you can visit our help site: Manage Customers and Income for QuickBooks Online.

Let me know if you have other questions about recurring transactions. I'll be here to help.

Sonnet-Accountants
Level 2

Has there been any movement on this? The workaround isn't very satisfactory. I have monthly billed client's who like to pay by card and I have to go in every month and manually adjust a recurring transaction. For the want of a tick-box (that exists when raising one-off invoices) an automatic transaction becomes part-manual. It's really quite annoying and would seem to be a simple thing to fix.

Ashleigh1
QuickBooks Team

Hello Sonnet-Accountants, 

Thanks for posting on this thread, 

Currently, there is no way to do this still in Quickbooks. 

We have taken this feedback on board and will pass it on to the developers team. 

dwhite2
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any update on this? I cannot understand why the recurring option screen has a section for Payment Options but no visible options below it.

Cheers,

Dave

Ashleigh1
QuickBooks Team

Hello Dwhite2, 

Thanks for posting on this thread, 

So currently this is still not available, we have taken your feedback on this and have passed it onto the developers. 

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@dwhite2 

Consider having a billing management app to do so and integrate it with your QBO account.

tess44
Level 2

Hi, you seem to have been passing this feedback on to the developers for a while now.

It seems like a relatively straightforward thing to be able to fix.

Just make it so the auto-tick box stays auto-ticked.

There seem to be quite a few of us who are finding this problematic.

Any progress?

EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello Tess44, At the moment there is no update coming up for this on the Paypal transactions. We do post updates that are incoming at this link

tess44
Level 2

Can you tell us if it is on the list of updates to be done?

JoesemM

Thanks for getting back to us, @tess44.

Our QuickBooks Blog site is a treasure trove of information full of QuickBooks and accounting help and useful tips, tricks, and advice. This site contains the list of newly added features and what our engineers are working on.

Also, we don't have a specific time frame yet but rest assured, we’ll keep you posted here in the Community for any updates.

For now, you can follow the workaround shared by Fiat Lux - ASIA to use a third-party app and integrate it in QuickBooks. There are two ways to look for a third-party app. First is by going to the apps.intuit.website or navigating the Apps menu in your QBO account. Let me guide you how:

1. Go to the Apps menu at the left pane.
  2. Select the Find Apps tab, and then type a keyword in the search bar.
  3. Click the magnifying glass to search, and then choose the app that suits your need.

Meanwhile, I'm adding below the essential materials for QBO users. It provides articles, tutorials, and an overview of the product:

I'm always around to help if you have more questions about managing your QBO account. Just click the Reply button so I can assist you further. Take care and have a good one.

soccfl
Level 2

It's over 2 years now since this issue was raised by the support team to the developers. Is there any plan to fix this? I moved away from Sage to QBO for the recurring invoice functionality. It works really well with Go Cardless direct debit payments but not card payments. What's the problem with this? Sage have nailed this over a year ago.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@soccfl 

Explore this app as another option

https://get.practiceignition.com/quickbooks

tess44
Level 2

I guess that's a no then Smiley Sad

Mark_C
Level 3

So, because QBO doesn't support adding a checkbox for accept PayPal, you are suggesting we use a third party app priced from £55 PER MONTH?!

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

@Mark_C 

Another option, utilize a free invoicing app to accept PayPal as the payment options and a free connector to mirror data back into your QBO account. You may need a paid app to reconcile PayPal transactions into QBO as a workaround. 

tess44
Level 2

Or, even better, they could just fix this - it really shouldn't be that difficult if Sage can do it.

Mark_C
Level 3

Still not fixed/integrated. Hugely disappointing and the reason I'll need to switch back to Sage.

Ashleigh1
QuickBooks Team

Hello Mark, thanks for posting on this thread, sorry to hear your disappointed that this option is not in QuickBooks and that you feel you would need to switch back to sage. We have passed this onto the developers. 

soccfl
Level 2

...Hmmm, no you haven't. You keep saying you've passed this to the developers but clearly you haven't!

tess44
Level 2

It's so annoying that they are ignoring something that would be so simple to fix.

FateCandylaneT
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate your time posting here in the Community, tess44 and soccfl.

I understand how convenient it is to have the option of PayPal payments when setting up recurring payments in QuickBooks Online (QBO). Please know that due to high volumes of feature requests. Our engineers might still not have reviewed your feedback. Rest assured that our product developers are always open to suggestions to improve our products and can meet our customer's business needs.

Thus, I'd suggest resending your feedback and suggestions to them. This way, they'll be able to look further and assist you with your business demands in this manner. To do that:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Click Feedback under the Profile column.
  3. Enter and share your feedback, then click Next to submit.

To check the status of your request, refer to this link: QuickBooks Online Customer Feedback.

Furthermore, you can visit this page to learn and have an overview of the product that entails tutorials and articles in QBO.

We're always here to assist you further if you have additional questions about managing your QBO account. Just click the Reply button below, and we'd gladly help you. Keep safe!

tess44
Level 2

July 2019 this was raised...three and a half years ago...

Need to get in touch?

Contact us