info341
Level 1

How can I save an invoice as a draft?

4 Comments 4
Rustler
Level 15

There is no draft invoice.

Typically you use an estimate, then when ready copy the estimate to an invoice.

In QB an invoice is a final sale

info341
Level 1

Thanks for that, unfortunately that didn't help my situation.

Generally I do an estimate as you suggested and convert it in to an invoice but split over a few invoices. Each invoice has a different description and like to do them all at once (paper work day) and send them when needed.

I have them future dated but it gets very cluttered especially if I miscalculated the future date and they becomes overdue and also stuffs up reports.

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

I have a workaround that you can try, info341.

You'll want to create an invoice and save it as a PDF. Note: This will save the invoice in the customer transaction list, but you can delete it after. Then, re-create the invoice when it's time.

Here's how you can do it:

1. On the left panel, click Sales and select Customers.
  2. Click the customer's name, and select the New Transaction button.
  3. Select Invoice and enter the information.
  4. Click the Print or Preview button, and select Print or Preview.
  5. In the Print preview window, click the Print icon to printer settings.
  6. Under Destination, click the Change button.
  7. Select Save as PDF.
  8. Click Save.

I'm adding this screenshot for reference:

Once done, close the Print preview window. To delete the invoice, click More located at the bottom and select Delete.

You can always reach out to us if you need more help with customer transactions in QuickBooks. Thanks.

vpcontroller
Level 11

@info341 wrote:

Thanks for that, unfortunately that didn't help my situation.

Generally I do an estimate as you suggested and convert it in to an invoice but split over a few invoices. Each invoice has a different description and like to do them all at once (paper work day) and send them when needed.

I have them future dated but it gets very cluttered especially if I miscalculated the future date and they becomes overdue and also stuffs up reports.

@info341 

Currently, you can't save an invoice as a draft which is non-posting type.

You may look into "DELAYED CHARGE" sales form in QBO (Create "+" sign > Customers > Delayed Charge). This is non-posting type and the form look exactly like the sales invoice. In essence, this works like 'Invoice as a draft', create Delayed Charge as you want, and when ready convert to create Invoice.