Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
choicie
Level 2

VAT Return and MTD

Hi, I have previously submitted VAT Returns with HMRC and not QuickBooks.  Now I have tried my first return with QuickBooks and MTD and the figures are wrong, how do I correct these so that they are correct.  Every figure is wrong in each box.  Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
John C
QuickBooks Team

VAT Return and MTD

Hi choicie

Are you attempting to obtain the same figures in Quickbooks as to what have been filed at HMRC and is the date range the same in QuickBooks to what was filed at HMRC?

choicie
Level 2

VAT Return and MTD

Hi, I have always done VAT Return direct with HMRC and never with QuickBooks, I have prepared a VAT 100 with the correct figures, but when I go into send VAT Return all of the figures from Box 1 to 9 are incorrect, and I have tried to change the figures but it will not let me.

John C
QuickBooks Team

VAT Return and MTD

Hi choicie

You can either make adjustments or ideally you will have find out what is causing the discrepancies, it could be duplicate or missing transactions, transactions that have the incorrect VAT code allocated, use the VAT detail report and the No VAT report.

choicie
Level 2

VAT Return and MTD

Hi, I will have another go and see what the discrepancies are.  Hopefully will get it sorted.  thank you for your help.

choicie
Level 2

VAT Return and MTD

Hi again, I have checked VAT Return, and it seems that as I have not used QuickBooks to send VAT returns before it is entering amounts way above what I should be entering.  I do not know how to reduce them to correct amount.  Is there a way to do this?  Otherwise I will have to enter huge credits on Sales and Purchases to make figure correct.

JaneD

VAT Return and MTD

Allow me to step in, choicie.

You can decrease or reduce the sales tax amount by creating a negative adjustment in QuickBooks Desktop.

Let me show you how:

1. Open QuickBooks.
  2. Go Customers and select Create Credit Notes/Refunds.
  3. Select a customer name. If you do not wish to use a real customer, click Add New and create a customer named Accountant Use Only.
  4. From the Item column, choose the sales tax item you want to adjust and enter the adjusted amount.
  5. Choose OK when you receive the message "Changing the amount of a tax line item may cause your sales tax reports to be incorrect."
  6. In the second line, select a Discount item.
  7. In the Amount column, enter the total amount equal to the adjustment(s) entered in the previous line.
  8. In the Tax column, select Tax.
  9. Verify that the total amount is $0.00.
  10. Click on Save & Close.

I've attached a screenshot for reference.

credit memo.PNG

For further guidance, check out this article that will provide more information: Process sales tax adjustment.

I'm also linking an article that will help you in the future: Resolve common sales tax issues.

Please let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below. I'll be here to keep helping. Take care.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us