cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
bankableassitance
Level 1

Where is Business Use of Home on my tax summary?

If I have home office expenses such as rent, hydro, utilities, etc., how do I categorize them in my expenses? I have been using "business use of home" but it doesn't show up as an expense on my tax summary which doesn't make sense. Is there anywhere I can enter this information so that it keeps track of it for me (the running total and the business percentage)?? Please help.

20 Comments 20
MirriamM

Hi there, bankableassitance,

I can share an overview about the categories available in QuickBooks Self-Employed (QBSE).

The tax categories available in QBSE are in line to the categories listed on the Canada Revenue Agency's (CRA) T2125 form to help make completing the form easier.

The Business use of home category is used for the cost of space in your home used for your self-employed work. The transactions under this category will be track on the Tax Summary report on the Expenses section.

To know more about this, you can read this article: Form T2125 list of tax categories for self-employed individuals.

If you have any follow up questions about reports in QuickBooks Self-Employed, please let me know.

bankableassitance
Level 1

Thank you, but it is not showing up as a line in my tax summary. I have expenses entered in on it and they are not showing up. Any idea why it's not there? Also, as I mark invoices as paid, it does not automatically put it to business income. I have tried clearing my cache and cookies and redownloading the app on my phone but it hasn't helped either situation.
AddieC
QuickBooks Team

Hi bankableassitance, 

Allow me to chime in with some additional resources. 

If you're using QuickBooks Self-Employed, I recommend getting in touch with their designated support team directly. The Self-Employed agents are specifically trained in this version of the QuickBooks program, and I'm confident they'll be able to get you back on the right track.

This team also has access to specific tools that give them information about your account, just in case there's anything notable to share from the back-end data.

To reach them, simply fill out the email form found here: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_CA/contact. Make sure to select QuickBooks Self-Employed from the product menu. After filling it out, an agent will be in touch with you within 1 business day to work with you one-on-one to get this resolved. 

I hope this helps. Perhaps other Self-Employed users will participate to this thread with helpful tips, too. 

Take care and have a great day!

ashes4trees
Level 1

Did you ever get this resolved? I just noticed this same issue.

KrisZ
Level 1

I am also seeing the same problem in my QBSE program. 

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out about the trouble you're running into with your tax summary in QuickBooks Self-Employed. It's important to me that you're able to see all your information on your reports and learn why it's not there when you're not.

To troubleshoot and find answers to what's going on here, I recommend reaching out to QuickBooks Self-Employed support directly. This allows you to work one-on-one with an agent who can get you back to business as quickly as possible.

In addition to the link that Addie left above, here's another way you can reach Self-Employed support.

1. Select the Assistant feature..
  2. Type and enter "Talk to human."
  3. Follow the prompts to reach a support agent.

The Contact QuickBooks Self-Employed Support page can help you find the Assistant tool if you're not seeing it in your app or browser.

I hope that helps. Have a great week,

CQE
Level 2

I seem to have the same issue. It seems that QBSE is not set up to deal with the home office situation. Has anyone had any success in getting this resolved?  

CKT
Level 1

I also have the same issue, business use of home expenses not showing up in tax summary?  Has anyone got a solution to resolve this if they do please post, very frustrating!

ashes4trees
Level 1

I was in contact with support a couple weeks ago and received zero resolution. This was their response:

“Now, the reports don't pull "business use of home" information unfortunately. You can deduct this for your taxes, but QBSE doesn't report it or calculate it for you. There is a need for you to do it on your own.” 
Not too happy about this! Why would quickbooks not report or calculate it when it’s a legitimate expense? Beyond frustrating. 

CQE
Level 2

It seems this is a significant short fall of this program that results in having to use additional tracking systems which raises the question of the value of tracking with it at all. Isn’t it simpler to use one system and then just transfer the info into the turbo tax - rather than having to run two systems? It doesn’t seem like it should be such a complicated thing to fix but so far there seems to be little interest by intuit to do so. Interesting 🧐 

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hello,

At QuickBooks, we're geared toward providing the best service we can for self-employed entrepreneurs to make navigating the bookkeeping portion of the job as simple as possible. I hear how having the business use of home is an essential part of business management for you and how not having it is making an impact. This is where you can help us.

Using the following steps, you can share your thoughts and feedback with us.

1. Select the Assistant feature,
  2. Type and enter Feedback.
  3. Follow the prompts to leave your feedback.

Your input is an essential part of the continued growth of the QuickBooks Self-Employed product and we'd love to hear from you. Don't hesitate to let us know what else we can do to enhance what the program has to offer.

Take care.

dbeck1
Level 1

How does it make an ounce of sense to create a completely separate category specifically for business use of home expenses and then not even track them on the tax form output anywhere?

Jody Wright
Level 1

I think the best self solve is to go into your business home expenses (under transaction type all, scroll to business spending - Business Use of Home).  "Select all" with the top checkbox and time frame and "Edit Category" to change to "Other Busines Expenses" which shows up on the last line of your tax summary.  Then create a rule to determine which percentage is right for your office use which is usually about 10% for office use. Good Luck!

akinger
Level 2

I am having the same problem. This is really disappointing. 

JamesM4
QuickBooks Team

Hi akinger. Thanks for taking the time to reach out here. It's vital you get the support you need and I'll be happy to provide that. To make sure we're both on the same page, could you elaborate more on what you're experiencing? I'll be on standby. 

brianrowlandyvr
Level 1

Thank you for this, and I have submitted feedback. I'd say that every single category should show on the reports, otherwise why bother to have them? 

JamesM4
QuickBooks Team

I appreciate you sending feedback, @brianrowlandyvr. I know how important it is to be able to view all categories and with your feedback, our engineers can look into incorporating this important feature in future updates. Feel free to ask other questions, I'm here to help. 

CQE
Level 2

I too have this same issue - and have spent much time trying to get an explanation as to how this works. Not sure why there is business use of home category at all. Additionally, a disclaimer or explanation up front that QB SE does not calculate business use of home expenses would have saved an incredible amount of time and frustration.

for those looking for an easy to use spread sheet that calculates the business use of home amount check out Avalon Accounting - https://www.avalonaccounting.ca/blog/small-business-bookkeeping-guide#which-bookkeeping-system

This a free easy to use excel spread sheet.    Interesting they can develop a spread sheet that does it but QB is saying they can't. Curious?????

damire69
Level 1

Very disappointing, might be worth considering another vendor in 2022.  I'm running into the same issue, and I can't even find a way to download the transactions, so I'm almost starting from scratch.

Steve5551
Level 1

Has this been resolved? I also don't see business use of home being carried into any of the reports and it's a big problem for me. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us