cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
EstherY

Act now to comply with new Making Tax Digital rules

Most businesses with a taxable turnover of £85k or more need to comply with HMRC’s Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT.

If you haven’t already done so, visit HMRC’s website and sign up to Making Tax Digital. You should wait 5 working days after your last VAT return has been submitted.

1. Sign up for MTD with HMRC

If you haven't already done so, visit HMRC’s website and sign up to Making Tax Digital. You should wait 5 working days after your last VAT return has been submitted.

2. Enable MTD in QuickBooks

Once you've received a confirmation email from HMRC, you can enable MTD in QuickBooks.

Don't delay! It can take up to 10 business days to get set up.

If you pay by Direct Debit you need to sign up at least 7 days before your next return is due. And, it takes up to 3 days for HMRC to confirm that you're signed up to MTD. Failure to comply could result in financial penalties from HMRC.

3 REPLIES 3
Ewan66
Level 1

Agree but there seems to be a problem getting the HMRC page to load when trying to enable through QuickBooks. See community answer 3887037 to my problem. I tried to contact support but no answer since 11am
Ewan66
Level 1

Sorry, i already tried all this. Thanks
Ryan_M

Hi @Ewan66,

Allow me to join this conversation and share my thoughts with how you can get to the HMRC page to submit your return. 

Try these steps to see if it helps:

• Clear your browser's cache.
  • Use your browser's private window.
    • Google Chrome: press Ctrl + Shift + N
    • Mozilla Firefox: press Ctrl + Shift + P
    • Internet Explorer: press Ctrl + Shift + P
    • Safari: press Command + Shift + N
  • Use a different browser and see what it does.

Other things to take note of, if you're using Mac, I suggest resetting your modem/router. Resetting in a sense of turning it off for a few seconds, then turning it back on. After that, please contact Apple support on how to reset your system's NVRAM. This is a possible cause why you're unable to get to the HMRC page.

If you're using a Windows computer, I suggest resetting your modem/router as well. 

If you continue to have this issue after trying to steps provided above, feel free to contact our Technical Support team for assistance. 

Here's how:

1. Log in to your QuickBooks Online (QBO) company.
  2. Click the Help menu.
  3. Select Contact us.

Phone support hours of operation:

8:00 AM - 6:00 PM Monday - Friday for QBO

Once you have this issue wrapped up, take your time to check this article: Submit a VAT return to HMRC - MTD for small businesses. It's a step by step guide on how you can submit your VAT return via the MTD process.

I'll be around to provide help whenever needed. Leave your questions in the comments below and I'll be sure to get back to you.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us