Ever since I updated my desktop V18 to R8_01 I have had issues with the Mobile Sync. I have since updated to R9_01 and am still having issues.
I have been getting multiple errors:
-An error happened when syncing image to QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
-Error syncing images to Mobile Sync: Error:Service
-Mobile Sync finished with error: Request timed out after 20 seconds
-Mobile Sync finished with error: The remote name could not be
-Mobile Sync finished with error: Unauthorized
This is just the list of errors in the last 6 hours!
In addition, when the Unauthorized error message is displayed I cannot process credit/debit transactions. I have found that a workaround is to log out of the processor and then log back in. That fixes the credit/debit processing, but not the mobile sync issue.