cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
eddie-paterson
Level 4

How do I stop QBO defaulting to direct debit when setting up an invoice?

Solved
Best answer June 17, 2022

Accepted Solutions
GeorgiaC
QuickBooks Team

Hi eddie-paterson and benluke4, the original thread may now have been archived - we appreciate that it would be useful to have the option to set a preferred default payment method for customers who do not always pay by DD. Currently, any customer paying via GoCardless will automatically default to DD and would need to be manually edited on the invoice to make payment manually. We have passed feedback to our technicians however this is currently working as designed. 🙇‍:female_sign:

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, eddie-paterson.

You can manually remove the Use Direct Debit option as a payment method when creating an invoice. You can also remove the customer from Direct Debit (Go Cardless) if you don't want to schedule them for that payment method. However, it will have an impact on the mandate that is held with GoCardless.

For the steps and details, you can check out this article: Manage mandates within GoCardless.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reach out  to our Customer Support Team.

Here's how:

1. Click Help on the top menu.
  2. Choose Contact us.
  3. Enter your concern in the What can we help you with? field.
  4. Click Let's talk.
  5. Choose Get a callback or Message an agent to reach out to them.

For more details about Direct Debit (GoCardless), you can refer to this article: GoCardless Welcome Guide.

Visit the Community if you need anything else with Direct Debit payments. I'm here to help.

Tim Jenkins
Level 1

Hi,

I have this problem also and I feel this is something that should be possible, can this be made a feature of the software.

Thanks,

Tim

EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hi Tim, Thanks very much for contacting us at the Community.:smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:Can we just confirm is this on a customer you have set as a recurring template to be invoiced or when you manually go to create an invoice it is not giving you an option for them to not pay via GoCardless?-Thanks

benluke4
Level 2

I have the same problem. The issue occurs when we manually go in to create an invoice. It defaults to Direct Debit and it can easily be missed causing the invoice to be taken by direct debit when the customer actually wants an invoice.

A customer who has a recurring invoice/dd set up doesn't necessarily  want every invoice taken by direct debit.

The manually created invoices should default to let customer make payment NOT use direct debit.

Please can this be implemented?

Many thanks

Ben

GeorgiaC
QuickBooks Team

Hi Ben, thanks for joining this thread - we've got back to this one on your new post, please see our reply there :thumbs_up:

eddie-paterson
Level 4

Where?

benluke4
Level 2

Where exactly is that reply from you Georgia? and is the problem solved as it does not seem to be??

It looks like QB has deleted my previous thread on the subject...

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-uk/transactions/re-how-do-i-stop-qbo-defaulting-to-di...

Be great if QB actually resolved the issue as it's causing problems for multiple users.

Can you confirm that your developers have been informed and actually understand what the issue is?

GeorgiaC
QuickBooks Team

Hi eddie-paterson and benluke4, the original thread may now have been archived - we appreciate that it would be useful to have the option to set a preferred default payment method for customers who do not always pay by DD. Currently, any customer paying via GoCardless will automatically default to DD and would need to be manually edited on the invoice to make payment manually. We have passed feedback to our technicians however this is currently working as designed. 🙇‍:female_sign:

Bhexx
Level 1

I've just been stung by this issue. I have a client with a regular DD setup for their usual services, but then did a one-off job for which I wanted to allow the client to pay manually. Even though I intended to send it out without the DD default option and I can't quite remember if I tried to ensure that it went out with manual payment selected, but I'm fairly sure I did; it would seem that the invoice went out from QB with the GoCardless DD selected. The client then didn't have funds in their account (as predicted because they're taking a few days to access their funds), so the payment bounced and then QB has retried to collect it again today when the client has told me they need 3 days for money to arrive in their account. So basically, I will be out of pocket for 2 x GoCardless fees, I probably can't pass the charges onto the client because I actually didn't want to collect it by DD in the first place and I tried not to, but somehow the invoice went out with the DD option ticked anyway (so effectively the fault lies with the seemingly over-zealous default DD payment collection options and the client isn't to blame).

Extremely annoying and costly. I'm managing my own business cashflow at present, as I plan for some big upcoming payments from my business. Losing fees on inadvertently collecting one-off fees via the GoCardless DD isn't part of my plan really doesn't help with my own cashflow and it has annoyed my client too.

I just wanted to add my story to this thread, as I really would prefer to remove the DD default option and to just choose myself in future. Judging by the dates of comments above, it would seem that this issue has rumbled on for a few years now, so are there any plans to enable the default DD collection method to be switched off, giving us as clients more control over how monies are collected from our clients?

Ashleigh1
QuickBooks Team

Hello Bhexx, thanks for posting on this thread and sharing your story with us, we suggest that you leave feedback on the idea exchange board in the community. It could be something that comes out in the future but at present there is not. 

eddie-paterson
Level 4

I see this issue was first raised in 2019 and is still an issue to your customers.

I have given up submitting ideas as there is never any feedback and as per this example - nothing happens.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us