cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
manon-ouellette
Level 1

How do we had the esa number in a invoice for a client?

1 Comment 1
LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

How do we had the esa number in a invoice for a client?

Hi manon-ouellette,

I can help you with adding your ESA number to invoices. Without having the exact details of what an ESA number is, it's a bit tricky to answer this question, but not to worry! I have some options for you.

I did find the acronym ESA associated with an organization called the Electrical Safety Authority in Ontario. I'm thinking there may be a registration number associated with this. For instances such as this, there are a few options: to add a custom field to sales forms, to manually add the number to the message section of the invoice, or to create a custom form template wherein the number is already added to the invoice. I'll go over each option below.

Add a custom field to sales forms

Custom fields on sales forms are great for if you need to add some extra information for your customer. They don't auto-populate, which would mean entering the information each time, but it's certainly something you could make use of. Here's how to set up the custom field.

1. Click the Gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
  2. Choose Account and Settings.
  3. Click Sales in the left menu.
  4. Click the Sales form content section to begin editing.
  5. Add a Custom field and check off both Internal and Public.
  6. Hit Save.
  7. Click Done to exit Account and Settings.

Now when you create invoices, you'll see that field. It'll only appear on the form if you enter something in that field.

Use the "Message on invoice" section to add the number

Quite simply, each time you create an invoice that requires this number, you can use the Message on invoice section to enter the ESA number. Again, this will mean entering the number each time.

Create a Custom Form Style

Use this option if you want the ESA number to appear on all of your sales forms. Creating a custom form style means creating a template that you can use for all of your sales forms. You can either edit the Standard form, which can apply to all sales form transactions, or create separate form styles for each transaction type. It would still use the "Message on" section, but inserting it into a custom template makes it stick so you don't have to enter it each time. All it would take is making the template the default so it automatically applies to transactions or it would take making sure that template is selected each time. Here are the steps for how to set up a custom form style.

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Choose Custom form styles.
  3. In the Action column, click Edit on a form to edit it.
  4. Or click New style to create a new one.
  5. Click the Content tab.
  6. Click the Footer area of the greyed-out preview.
  7. Enter the number in the Message to customer on box.
  8. Click Done to save.

To make a form the default, click the drop-down arrow in the Action column and choose Make default. Here's an article with more information about customizing form styles: How to customize invoices, estimates, and sales receipts

If the ESA is a custom sales tax of some sort, follow these few easy steps to have it appear on your forms.

1. Click Taxes in the left menu.
  2. Ensure you're on the Sales Tax tab (Note: if you have payroll activated as well, it will also show in the taxes area).
  3. Click Manage Sales Tax.
  4. Find the appropriate sales tax agency and click the downward arrow beside Add rate.
  5. Choose Edit agency settings.
  6. Add the number in the proper field.
  7. Click Save.
  8. Click Done to exit.

Learn how to set up custom sales tax here: How to set up a new sales tax code

I hope that helps! Enjoy your week. :)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us