cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
JK007
Level 1

Chart of Accounts

How do I add new accounts and alter the name of existing accounts along with numbering them?

7 Comments 7
LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Chart of Accounts

Hello JK007,

Thanks for reaching out. I see you've tagged QuickBooks Self-Employed as the product you're using for this post, but it sounds like you're using QuickBooks Online. QuickBooks Self-Employed is a simplified version of QuickBooks that doesn't operate with a Chart of Accounts. Not to worry, I can explain what you're looking for in QuickBooks Online to get you set up.

I'll start with numbering. It's as easy as toggling the ability in the settings and then adding numbers to your accounts. Follow these simple steps.

1. Click the Gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen when logged into a browser or the QuickBooks Online desktop app for Mac/Windows.
  2. Choose Account and Settings.
  3. Click Advanced from the left menu.
  4. Click the Chart of Accounts section to enable editing.
  5. Check the box Enable account numbers to turn the feature on.
  6. Click Save.
  7. Click Done to exit account and settings.

Now when you add or edit accounts, you'll see a field for adding account numbers as well as the other relevant information. Go to the Accounting tab in the left menu, then click New to add new accounts. To edit existing accounts, click the drop-down arrow in the Action column and choose Edit. Read the Add or edit the Chart of Accounts article to learn more.

That should get you on your way. Stop by anytime with more questions. :) I'm here to help!

leslie64
Level 1

Chart of Accounts

I can not seem to find the Chart of Accounts...so I can add new accounts.  I am considering the Self-employed package.  

If I do purchase this is there a way to move all my info under my current QB's online 23/mth package?

Thank you - Leslie

JamesM
QuickBooks Team

Chart of Accounts

Hi there. Since QB Online and Self-Employed run on separate platforms, you'll have to manually transfer an enter your data into QB Self-Employed. I recommend using third-party apps such as Transaction Pro and Excel Importer to import and export your data. Feel free to contact our support team using this link for further assistance.

leslie64
Level 1

Chart of Accounts

Thanks - what about the chart of accounts, so I can add new ones?

JamesM
QuickBooks Team

Chart of Accounts

Hi Leslie. Yes, you can add new accounts. Once you have QB Online set up, here's how: Create an account on your chart of accounts in QuickBooks Online. Feel free to ask other questions. 

leslie64
Level 1

Chart of Accounts

So I can not add new accounts to the Chart until I buy it, I can not do this on the trial?

JamesM
QuickBooks Team

Chart of Accounts

The free trial allows you add new accounts to the Chart of Accounts. You get to experience the full benefits of the paid version while using the free trial. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us