cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
tspriggs2001
Level 1

Can the # if digits for a GL account code be increased? Appears to be limited to 7 digits.

5 Comments 5
JamesM
QuickBooks Team

Can the # if digits for a GL account code be increased? Appears to be limited to 7 digits.

Hi there,

Good to hear back from you again. I see what you're saying. At this time, QBO has a limit of 7 characters. I know how having more would be beneficial to you. I encourage you to send feedback to our engineers by clicking the gear icon and looking for Feedback. Fresh ideas and product improvements are based on the feedback we get from users like you. Let me know if you have questions. I'm here to help. 

Matt148
Level 1

Following up on this as I read on another thread that the Canadian version allows more than 7 digits while the US version only allows 7.  I’m wondering if this will ever change as a client in the US who uses QB was looking to create a New chart of accounts with 9 digits and are now unable to which could lead to them switching Accounting systems.  Having the option to make an Account 5800-70-0 or 5800-70-00 would be beneficial. 

LeithG
Level 7

Hi Matt148

Based on the account structure it appears your client is attempting to setup multi-part accounts to differentiate expenses between departments.  Have they considered using the new tagging feature instead?  Then the account can be related to the expense itself, using tags to differentiate between departments or sub-accounts?

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-ca/class-list/tag-transactions-in-quickbooks-online/0...

Matt148
Level 1

Hi, 

Yeah exactly they're trying to use the 2nd Segment to show location codes while the 3rd segment would be used to differentiate revenue/expenses from an Event and regular operations. 

I'm looking into this tagging feature although I don't believe the Export will work since it will still be an account code like "5555-55"in QuickBooks which means it can't be an Account Code like "5555-55 plus -55 in my system.  This would still involve me changing the New COA like the last code back to it's original form of 2 segments which is what I was trying to avoid.  Let me know if QuickBooks will ever be increasing this account digit limit as 7 is very minimal since I've seen Accounting systems who will allow 15

LeithG
Level 7

Hi Matt

I hear what you're saying - I've even seen accounting softwares that go up to 30 characters!  The sort of 'multi-dimensional' / tagging system seems to be the way of the future for web-based applications.  I've seen it in several such as Workday, and now QuickBooks.

You can setup two groups of tags, one for department / location, and one for Event / Operations, and tag each transaction accordingly.  You'd be able to run reports incorporating these tags to get the differentiated information your client is looking for.

I'm actually a giant fan of this approach since it makes things easier to read / enter for end users in the long run without remembering esoteric code structures.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us