cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
wtpotter
Level 1

Can I upload my excel doc to quick books VAT returns page?

Solved
Best answer October 04, 2023

Accepted Solutions
emmam6

Hello Community Users, we just wanted to pop in and add an update to this thread. If you need to file via a spreadsheet you can do that through QuickBooks Online using the bridging software. We have included a help article on how to do that which includes a how to video but we have also added the main steps below.

1. Go to Taxes, and then select VAT (Take me there).
  2. Select the Returns tab.
  3. Look for the open return and select the ▼ dropdown arrow under the Action column.
  4. Select Submit with a spreadsheet.
  5. Select Browse to open and upload your file.
  6. Select Next.
  7. Using the dropdown, select the sheet with a summary of all 9 boxes.
  8. On your computer, open the spreadsheet and make a note of which cell the final figure for Box 1 is in.
  9. Back in QuickBooks, map your spreadsheet to the 9 boxes. Map the first cell (Box 1) and we’ll do the rest for you.
  10. Select Review return.
  11. When you’re ready submit, select the box to declare that the info is true and complete.
  12. Select Submit to HMRC.
  13. Select Done.

Any questions on this please feel free to add them onto this thread. We'd be happy to help you.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kristine Mae

Hello there, Wtpotter.

Your VAT return is based on the transactions entered in the system. We're unable to upload an excel or CSV file on the VAT return page. 

I've got you a helpful article as a future reference: Submit a VAT return in QuickBooks.

We're just right here for you if you have more questions. 

emmam6

Hello Community Users, we just wanted to pop in and add an update to this thread. If you need to file via a spreadsheet you can do that through QuickBooks Online using the bridging software. We have included a help article on how to do that which includes a how to video but we have also added the main steps below.

1. Go to Taxes, and then select VAT (Take me there).
  2. Select the Returns tab.
  3. Look for the open return and select the ▼ dropdown arrow under the Action column.
  4. Select Submit with a spreadsheet.
  5. Select Browse to open and upload your file.
  6. Select Next.
  7. Using the dropdown, select the sheet with a summary of all 9 boxes.
  8. On your computer, open the spreadsheet and make a note of which cell the final figure for Box 1 is in.
  9. Back in QuickBooks, map your spreadsheet to the 9 boxes. Map the first cell (Box 1) and we’ll do the rest for you.
  10. Select Review return.
  11. When you’re ready submit, select the box to declare that the info is true and complete.
  12. Select Submit to HMRC.
  13. Select Done.

Any questions on this please feel free to add them onto this thread. We'd be happy to help you.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us