cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
sarah41
Level 1

VAT 101 form. Is this done through QB MTD software or do I still use the original method used? Thank you Sarah

Solved
Best answer May 08, 2020

Accepted Solutions
paul72
Level 8

VAT 101 form. Is this done through QB MTD software or do I still use the original method used? Thank you Sarah

@K-LM wrote:

A VAT 101 form (ECSL - EC Sales List) reports the value of goods and services supplied to VAT-registered businesses in EU member states. It's not the same as a VAT return, which is a VAT 100 form. I have submitted my VAT return, but as per the OP, can a 101 form be submitted via QBO? I think the answer is probably 'No' since ECSL is not listed against QBO here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-returns-and-ec-sales-list-commercial-software-supplie...

Correct!

MTD in QBO is for VAT only - VAT100 form.

VAT101 is EC Sales List & must be done manually via online.hmrc.gov.uk (I think it's in there - haven't submitted for a while).

QBO will produce an EC Sales List (VAT101) as long as you have Country set correctly in Customer Details.

Hope this clears up the confusion. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
JessT

Thank you for asking about the VAT 101 form, Sarah.

I'm happy to let you know that you can submit it through QuickBooks in an MTD way. I'll give you the details of the process.

If you're already registered for Making Tax Digital, you'll want to enable MTD in QuickBooks first. Please check the steps with pictures in this article: Authorise QuickBooks to interact with HMRC. After the setup, you can start submitting your return

If there's anything that we can help, you can always visit us back here.

ShopAdmin
Level 5

Hi JessT, 

Sorry - I don't understand your reply.  Does the MTD process Automatically submit the VAT 101 report at the same time as the VAT 100?

JasroV
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @ShopAdmin.

You'll have to manually submit your VAT return for Marking Tax Digital (MTD). Ensure you're registered to MTD to be able to submit it. Let me guide you on how to do it in your QuickBooks Online (QBO) account.

Here's how:

1. Go to the Taxes menu.
  2. Select VAT.
  3. Click Prepare return
  4. Check the figures for each box. Then submit your VAT return, select Submit to HMRC
  5. Select the I declare the information is true and complete box, followed by Submit to HMRC
  6. Wait for the receipt confirmation message has been received. 
  7. Once your submission has been completed, you'll receive a message. Select Done.

Here's an article you can read for more details: Submit a VAT return to HMRC - MTD for small businesses.

Additionally, I got you this article that can help you in preparing your submission: MTD VAT Submission Checklist | Small Businesses.

Please know you're always welcome to post here anytime you need help with. I'm only a post away. Have a wonderful day and take care!

K-LM
Level 1

A VAT 101 form (ECSL - EC Sales List) reports the value of goods and services supplied to VAT-registered businesses in EU member states. It's not the same as a VAT return, which is a VAT 100 form. I have submitted my VAT return, but as per the OP, can a 101 form be submitted via QBO? I think the answer is probably 'No' since ECSL is not listed against QBO here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-returns-and-ec-sales-list-commercial-software-supplie...

paul72
Level 8

@K-LM wrote:

Correct!

MTD in QBO is for VAT only - VAT100 form.

VAT101 is EC Sales List & must be done manually via online.hmrc.gov.uk (I think it's in there - haven't submitted for a while).

QBO will produce an EC Sales List (VAT101) as long as you have Country set correctly in Customer Details.

Hope this clears up the confusion. 

ShopAdmin
Level 5

Thanks both - I thought that was the case.

I guess MTD is not "quite there" yet

paul72
Level 8

This one is not down to QB - HMRC has not made ECSLs part of MTD.

As they will not be required at all after Mar 2019 Jun 2019 Dec 2019 Dec 2020, there was probably no point putting in the work.

Some software (mostly bespoke for large companies or industry-specific) can upload as xml or electronic data interchange but the preferred method for SMEs is still on screen form or bulk csv upload.

(paper ECSLs were supposed to have been phased out several years ago, but HMRC still lists as an option & they still send them out every month in the post to some lucky people!)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us