cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I add a category (chart of accounts)

4 Comments 4
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Hi, @Anonymous.

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the QuickBooks Community. Let me help share some insights about the Chart Of Accounts.

QuickBooks Self-Employed (QBSE) is specifically designed to track business income and expenses to help estimate taxes and file the Schedule C form at year end, and it doesn't have a chart of accounts. 

What you can do is connect your bank account with QBSE. Once connected, your transactions will be downloaded automatically. You can review and categorized according to the Schedule C categories available in the system. 

For additional reference, you can check these articles:

On the other hand, if you’re using QuickBooks Online (QBO) version, here’s how you can add a category on the Chart of Accounts:

1. Click Accounting on the left panel.
  2. Click the New button at the top right.
  3. Select the Category Type
  4. Select the Detail Type (see the description below to help you select the right type).
  5. Enter the Name.
  6. Description is optional.
  7. Click Save and Close.

That should do it! Please know that I'm just a post away if you have additional questions about adding a category. Wishing you and you business continued success. 

accounting in self employment
Level 1

Where do I find accounting in self employment in QB

accounting in self employment
Level 1

Where do I find accounting in self employed

IntuitLily

Thank you for joining the thread, @accounting in self employment.

Currently, there isn't a way to add an account manually in QuickBooks Self-Employed. We don't have the Chart of Accounts page as mentioned by my colleague above. The only way to add an categorize the account is to connect it via online banking.

Once your account is connected, this will automatically download your bank transactions and all you need to do is approve and categorize it. This is more convenient than doing the manual entry. You can check this guide for more information: Connect bank and credit card accounts to QuickBooks Self-Employed.

To learn more about the fastest way to track your business, you can check out this helpful link: QuickBooks Self-Employed Overview.

Don't hesitate to drop by again if you need anything else. I'm here and ready to help. Take care!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us