cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackieAKA76
Level 1

How do I record member dues for 2019 received in 2018?

4 Comments 4
MaryGraceS

Hello there, @jackieAKA76.

Glad to see you in the Community. Allow me to help share some insight about recording the member dues in QuickBooks Online.

You can create a service item for dues and link it to a dues income account or to the account you want to use. After that, use the item on an invoice or sales receipt to each member. Let me show you how: 

1. At the top right, click the Gear icon.
  2. Choose Products and Services.
  3. In the upper right corner, select New
  4. Select the service type.
  5. Enter the service information and make sure to select an Income account.
  6. Click Save and close

That's it! You can now use the item when recording your invoice or sales receipt to each member. I've attached some articles below for additional reference: 

Stay in touch if you have any other questions about recording member dues or while working with QuickBooks. I'll be happy to help you out. Wishing you and your business success. 

Rustler
Level 15

@MaryGraceS said

You can create a service item for dues and link it to a dues income account or to the account you want to use ....
make sure to select an Income account.

Really? select the account you want to use, but be sure to select an income account?

And an income account if selected would post income with the current date, not next year as the question asks.

@jackieAKA76 

When you receive payment this year for next years dues, that is pre-paying, so create an asset account called pre-paid dues. Then create a service item named the same and linked to that pre-payment asset account.

Use that item on an invoice or sales receipt for next years dues

In the new year, create an invoice for the member and use your normal dues service item and the dues amount
on the next line, select the pre-paid dues item, set the qty to negative one, and enter the dues amount, save the zero dollar transaction.

that pays the current year dues from the pre-paid dues asset account, and the member record shows his dues being paid and current.

Stephanie60
Level 1

How is the cash that was received 2018 recorded when entering the deposit?

RenjolynC
QuickBooks Team

Hi Stephanie60,

After following the steps provided by Rustler, let's make sure to receive the payment and use the undeposited funds account. This will show the payment on the deposit page.

Here are the steps:

1. Click the Create (+) icon located in the upper right-hand corner.
  2. Under Other, click Bank deposit.
  3. Select the bank account from the Account drop-down list and choose the Date.
  4. Under Select the payments included in this deposit, put a check mark on the payment box.
  5. Click Save and close.

I'm adding this article that includes a video tutorial: Deposit payments into the Undeposited Funds account in QuickBooks Online.

We're always around if you need more help. Thanks.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us