cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekileen
Level 3

Adjust Payroll liabilities to back out credit used

Kind of a long story, but need to be sure this is done correctly:

We overpaid our 941 liability in Q3 2018, so had a credit with the IRS.
The credit on our account was overstated in QB so the Q4 taxes were paid short. I have paid the amount owed and the IRS account is current, but need to get QB in line with the correct liabilities.

First - how do I adjust those liabilities to reflect the correct credit amount?

Second - how do I record the payment made directly at the EFTPS site in QB?

Third - how do I record the interest and penalties that were included with that payment?

Solved
Best answer April 22, 2019

Best Answers
Charies_M

Hello there, ekileen.

Thanks for checking in with us. I want to make sure all your payroll concerns are taken care of.

For liability adjustments, I'll be sharing with you this article that will guide you through the whole process of making payroll liability adjustments in QuickBooks Desktop: Adjust payroll liabilities.

For your second question, you can use the Enter Prior Payments option if the liabilities were not entered in QuickBooks. 

Here's how:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Then choose About QuickBooks. And press Ctrl+Alt+Y.
  3. Choose the date range. Then select Next until you see the Create Payments button.
  4. Under Item Name, select the drop-down arrow. And choose the item you need to create a prior payment for.
  5. Verify the dates and update as necessary.
  6. Select Next Payment to enter another prior payment.
  7. Select Done.

To know more about this, here's a helpful article that you can refer to: Enter historical tax payments in Desktop payroll.

Lastly, you can record interest and penalties that were included with the payment by writing a check and entering the accounts (interest and penalties) under Expenses tab.

Here's how:

1. Go to Banking.
  2. Click Write Checks.
  3. From the Expenses column, 
  4. Click Add new to add the penalty account under the Account column. Do the same thing for interest.
  5. Enter other necessary information.
  6. Click Save and Close.

You should be all set. Be sure to keep in touch with me here should you have any additional payroll questions or concerns. I'm here to help.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Charies_M

Hello there, ekileen.

Thanks for checking in with us. I want to make sure all your payroll concerns are taken care of.

For liability adjustments, I'll be sharing with you this article that will guide you through the whole process of making payroll liability adjustments in QuickBooks Desktop: Adjust payroll liabilities.

For your second question, you can use the Enter Prior Payments option if the liabilities were not entered in QuickBooks. 

Here's how:

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Then choose About QuickBooks. And press Ctrl+Alt+Y.
  3. Choose the date range. Then select Next until you see the Create Payments button.
  4. Under Item Name, select the drop-down arrow. And choose the item you need to create a prior payment for.
  5. Verify the dates and update as necessary.
  6. Select Next Payment to enter another prior payment.
  7. Select Done.

To know more about this, here's a helpful article that you can refer to: Enter historical tax payments in Desktop payroll.

Lastly, you can record interest and penalties that were included with the payment by writing a check and entering the accounts (interest and penalties) under Expenses tab.

Here's how:

1. Go to Banking.
  2. Click Write Checks.
  3. From the Expenses column, 
  4. Click Add new to add the penalty account under the Account column. Do the same thing for interest.
  5. Enter other necessary information.
  6. Click Save and Close.

You should be all set. Be sure to keep in touch with me here should you have any additional payroll questions or concerns. I'm here to help.

RhondaL
Level 4

Using this method, totally messed up my liabilities - now showing all the way back a year ago "overdue" on taxes!.  PLUS changed my beginning balance for reconciling!  So frustrating

RhondaL
Level 4

do not use this method.  it was a huge mess for us

JessT

Hi Rhonda,

It's really important to keep your bank accounts correct while doing adjustments in payroll. I can imagine what you've been through, and I want to help to prevent this from happening in the future.

First of all, it would be wiser to back up your company file if you'll do tax adjustments. This will give you peace of mind because you can just restore it when things go out of the way.

Secondly, liability checks and liability adjustments are saved in the Transactions tab in the Payroll section. Therefore, they are not hard to find if you need to edit or delete them when your books become incorrect.

With regard to tax adjustments, the steps above are right. However, when the amount is already reflected in the bank account, but not in payroll liabilities, don't affect your bank account in the adjustment. You can do that by clicking on Accounts Affected and selecting Affect liability accounts but not the bank account. That way, the adjustment will not affect your reconciliation as well.

liability adjustment.PNG

As you enter adjustments in QuickBooks, you can run two the Payroll Summary and Payroll Liability Balances. These are the common reports that we check when we troubleshoot payroll tax discrepancies.

On the other hand, you can check out the QuickBooks Blog to see some content relevant to our situation today.

If you need help, you know how to reach us in the Community. We'll be happy to lend you a hand.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us