cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awade
Level 1

Merge duplicate customers

I need to merge a few duplicate customers. When I go to merge I get the message, a Warning "You have received payments from this customer. As a result, you cannot move or reparent this job to a different customer. This restriction is in place to keep your customer balances accurate." I was able to move one job, but now get that message when I try to move the other jobs. How do I work around this Warning message? I am on Quickbooks Enterprise Solutions 19.0

3 Comments 3
MaryLurleenM

Hello there, awade,

It's possible that the job you moved has no pending transactions. You can delete and recreate the payment associated on that job. Make sure to take note of the payment details before deleting it.

After that, try moving the job to the customer again. Once merging is done, you can recreate the payment.

Here's an article for more information: Merge Accounts, Customers, and Vendors.

Don’t hesitate to comment below if you got additional concerns, I’m always here to help you.

awade
Level 1

Thank you for the quick reply. The customers that I am trying to merge don't have any pending transactions. All the jobs are from several years back. I don't want to delete/reapply payments since I know merging can be done without touching the payments. I don't understand why I was able to do it with one job but can't merge the other jobs.

The customers that I am trying to merge are the same customer. A duplicate customer was set up with just a slight change to the name - ABC, Inc and ABC. 

Any other suggestions?

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back, awade. 

The reason behind the prompt is that you associated a payment to multiple invoices to different jobs. You'll have to delete the payment first for you to merge jobs and then recreate the payment.  

Let us know if you have additional concerns. I'll be around to help you. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us